Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217636 09/12/03 09:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We are heading for Caye Caulker for our first time ever visit this winter. I've done a lot of reading about the area but still there's nothing like first hand reports - can somebody tell me about Auxillou Beach Suites relative to Iguana Reef? They are in the same price range - are there significant differences? We also were looking at Ocean Pearl Royale - a very different price range - but I can't find much about it. We don't need "luxury" but clean and comfortable.

Advice/ information? Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
All the above are good as we have heard. also try Lazy Iguana B&B. We stayed there and it is a great place and very good breakfast. the view is awesome!

enjoy the beautiful caye.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Having stayed at both places, I will say that they are both nice. The Auxillou Suites is only four suites, but they are really nice and spacious and all the rooms face the reef. The Iguana has a larger compound with more rooms, and their rooms are also nice, even though the rooms are much smaller than the Auxillou rooms. The Iguana is also on the lagoon side of the island instead of the reef side of the island. When I stayed there, the days were quite hot and the location of Iguana did not make for great ventilation. The Iguana does have a bar on the property, tho, and the owners are pretty friendly. All things considered, I would go with Auxillou just because of the location.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi, My family also stayed at Auxillou Beach Suites. They are very nice, air-conditionned and in a great location. The owner Wendy is VERY nice and helpful. Auxillou gets my vote.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Popeyes is another nice place and location....has air-conditioned rooms and suites...faces the reef and has a very large thatch to hang a hammock and just relax...also has a restuarant and bar on premises...has a private pier for sunbathing and swimming.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The American Heritage Dictionary describes a lagoon as "a shallow body of water, especially one separated from the sea by sandbars or coral reefs." By that definition, just about the entire length of the Belizean coastline west of the Barrier Reef would be considered a lagoon. I have yet to see a map (or chart) that refers to that area of the Caribbean Sea as a lagoon. To set the record straight, Caye Caulker is an island surrounded by the Caribbean Sea on all sides. What is being referred to as the lagoon side is in fact correctly described as the "Lee" side of the island, separated from mainland Belize by approximately 15 miles of open sea. Of course on an island the size of Caye Caulker, and one without any terraine changes, the issue is a bit inconsequential. Since from most points within the village limits it is possible to see the sea on both the windward and the leeward sides of the island. As far as selecting a hotel, my advice is to do your research and keep in mind the old addage of "you get what you pay for" (and sometimes you don't). Hope you are satisfied with your selection and enjoy Caye Caulker.

[This message has been edited by Mermaid (edited 09-16-2003).]

S
S
Wow - such a lesson on 'geography'....

Perhaps you might want to enlighten people that we also call the front pier / dock a "bridge" even though it does not connect any two things or would not fit the description of a 'bridge' in a dictionary. Nonetheless it is called the FRONT BRIDGE to us - and you will find this name on local maps.

Likewise, we choose to call the LEEWARD side of Caye Caulker the LAGOON SIDE and that is just us. In Corozal we refer to a good deal of the sea - Windward side - as "Lagoon" as well (the 4 Mile Lagoon) and the lee ward side of Placencia is also called a 'Lagoon'.....

Interestingly enough I was just reading "Ten Tips For The Responsible Traveler" , some of which I will list below:

#1. TRAVEL IN THE SPIRIT OF HUMILITY AND WITH A GENUINE DESIRE TO MEET AND TALK WiTH THE LOCAL PEOPLE.

#3. CULTIVATE THE HABIT OF LISTENING AND OBSERVING, RATHER THAN MERELY HEARING AND SEEING. ASK QUESTIONS AND SEEK TO UNDERSTAND, NOT TO CONVERT.

#4. REALIZE THAT OTHER PEOPLE OFTEN HAVE TIME CONCEPTS, THOUGHT PATTERNS AND CULTURAL PRECONCEPTIONS DIFFERENT FROM YOUR OWN - NOT INFERIOR, JUST DIFFERENT.

And I list these in particular because I did not like your attitude.

Cheers :-(

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
location...location...location... You can't beat the view and the cool breeze at Auxillou.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day