We just returned from a wonderful week on CC - our first visit to Belize. Clearly I don't have lots of wisdom to impart from a single visit but thought I'd share some general impressions for other newbies.
- One of the surprises was that CC is probably second only to London as the most cosmopolitan place I have visited. We met people from literally all over the world.
- Everyone we met, both residents and visitors, were friendly and helpful. No bad experiences at all. (There was a post here about a month ago from someone who apparently had a bad couple of hours on CC. We sure did not encounter anything like what he described.)
- Among our group of 5 people we dove the Blue Hole with Paradise Down; went Blue Hole snorkeling with Seagull Adventures; did local snorkeling tours with both Johnny's (Pirate) and Mario's. We had great experiences all around.
- I read on various message boards to expect slow food service on CC. Perhaps our expectations are different than others' but we ate at a wide variety of restaurants and didn't run into any that seemed unreasonably slow. It's actually pleasant to be able to sit and enjoy a meal and not feel pressured to hurry up and leave!
- As far as food, on CC you could eat for almost nothing or you can enjoy "upscale" dining, depending on your budget and your tastes. We did some of each and it was all great. There is even GOOD fast food available for grabbing something quick before heading out for a day on the water. (I liked the carry out place on the side of Chan's - that says "Pirate" on the wall.)
- Everything really IS within walking distance.
- It did rain several days but only for about 20 minutes. Then the wind blew the clouds by and the sky was beautiful blue again.
- One word of advice: even if you don't see them (and I never did) the little biting beasties are there! Of the 5 of us, only 2 got any bites but they were BIG 1-2" bites all below the knees. Since those 2 were not staying in the same room and the bites always appeared in the morning, our best guess is that they occurred in the evenings at dinner and wandering around town. I would suggest that if you are prone to bug problems (or as soon as you find the first bite) that you change to long pants in the evenings and spray some DEET from the knees down.
- But don't let that deter you or spoil your trip. CC is everything they say - laid back, friendly, beautiful surroundings. Enjoy!