BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TXJhawk Offline OP
OP Offline
T
After visiting many times over the last 3 years, my wife and I are exploring the possibility of relocating our family to Caye Caulker. Just wondering from some locals how the schools are on the island and what they like (or dislike) the most about living there...

Thanks in advance for your comments!

D
D
Have you visited THE SCHOOL during any of your visits? Did you interact with any of the children while visiting? I find them well manored, polite, when I can encourage conversation they are well spoken and articulate. I have not checked there math skills, but they sure enjoy the books we bring. Come back with the kids on a fact finding mission.
Cheers, Dan

C
C
My children are all grown up and living in the U.S., so this comment is not from first-hand experience. All of my friends with children complain about the Caye Caulker school, and any that can afford to send their children to San Pedro's Island Academy or to Belize City. Its a tough ride every day, but they feel necessary to do it for a better education than is available here on Caye Caulker.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Actually the 20 min boat ride to Pedro is little different than the school buses most kids grew up with.The Island academy over there has been rated by some parents as the best school their chidren have ever attended in any country.Small classes -concerned teachers.
I think the Caye Caulker school does very well with the little they must work with. Funding there is a tenth of the typical funding per student in Canada.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I think you should come test drive the life here for a few months before you completely commit.Living here feels different from the long vacations. You must find something rewarding to do every day if you live here.Most foreigners need to have a life outside the island to feel stimulated. This is also true in other island environments like Hawaii, but CC is smaller and the need more pressing.Building your own house, setting up the library, working for the environment, windsurfing or sailing, helping the school.Many people figure they will worry about that later and soon get bogged down in island life and after that they are gone.
Most newcomers who have succeeded in making a life here- also have a life away from here.Many stay six months a year.Another key to success is not to make a living here. Collect a check outside and spend it here and you will be boosting the hometown economy and making even more friends everyday.

[This message has been edited by keycocker (edited 01-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by keycocker (edited 01-06-2005).]

P
P
Have just returned from a 30-day visit to CC. Keycocker is right, bring your money, drop it off and then leave. The Belizean government makes it almost impossible to HELP anywhere. Even volunteers need permits. The goverment poured a lot of money into CC after Keith to support tourism but nothing to support training of Belizeans to support this natural resource industry.
PM Musa is asking for more money from IWB but "we will manage it ourselves". This is from a bankrupt country politician.
No high school on the island. Teachers have little more than high school educations.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My wife & I own a 3 bedroom house on Caulker we've had for 25 years. Yes it is for sale if $300kUS doesn't scare ya!
We raised our kids on CC every winter from year 1 till they were they were 6 & 8 years old when we moved to San Pedro for the Island Academy. There's no doubt that the Academy is a fine private school that rivals any education the world has to offer.
Caulker school is crowded & Catholic. I'll say no more other than it works for them & won't hurt any kid used to public school. American kids won't like the discipline but it's probably exactly what they need.
OK that was a guess!
Anyway. it totally depends on you & your expectation. Feel free to ask anything specific,
Paul

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day