Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219012 03/20/05 03:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My husband and I are planning to spend a few days in Caye Caulker this August. We were looking into staying at De Real Macaw. I'm wondering if it is quiet there, or if it's in a noisy area. My husband also likes to fish. Is it possible to do some fishing without spending $150 for a charter? If so, where? How? Finally, I'd like to do some snorkeling. Probably Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley. Any recommendations on which tour operator to choose? Is the night snorkeling good? Thanks for any help you can give us!

#219013 03/20/05 11:49 PM
L
L
I just spent 5 weeks on Caye Caulker and Guatemala. We stayed in several places on the Caye, neither of the ones you mentioned. We fished with friends so can't suggest anyone in that respect. The only person I would go snorkeling with is Juni. He operates out of his house on Front Street. He grew up on the Caye, and is an extremely knowledgeable, sweet man. Pack your suitcase and then take out at least half. The weather is hot, humid, and sunny (wonderful). The water temp is perfect. Have a GREAT trip, I'd go back in a hot minute!!!!

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited 03-20-2005).]

#219014 03/21/05 07:41 AM
F
F
I spent 9 days there this month. I agree
with the previous poster, go out with
Juni.
Regarding the Real McCaw it is located on
Front St and it is fairly busy. If you
are looking for quiet there are better
choices.

#219015 03/21/05 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks for the advice so far. Can anyone recommend a quiet place to stay, preferably on the beach, but that's not essential, that would cost $40-70 US a night in low season? Thanks for your help.

#219016 03/22/05 12:52 PM
L
L
We stayed at several places on the island, all were pretty rustic: shared bathrooms, shared showers but hey.....how much time did we REALLY spend in the room!? My favorite was Morgan's Inn. It's right on the beach, hooks for hammocks, private shower, shared bathroom (actually it's your own private outhouse but outside and next to another outhouse - really common on CC). There are only 3 cottages and very peaceful - great breezes from the water and beautiful sunrises. Orlando is the owner and his wife, Ellen, oversees the renting. Many iguanas to keep you entertained. It's on Front Street, next to the Paradise Hotel but fairly quiet. You have access to Orlando's dock for fishing or sunbathing. We were in Casa Blanca where there is a "kitchen" (sink and some kitchen tools). The bed was great! (We got to a point where we rated the rooms according to the quality of the bed.) Good screens in the windows too (take bug stuff for no-see-ums and mosquitoes). There is a bar-b-que and most afternoons around 4:00 a fisherman arrives to clean his catch - there are usually leftovers that you can buy. Can anyone say, "Dinner"? This also attracts the pelicans and I got some great photos. Enjoy!

#219017 03/22/05 12:52 PM
L
L
Oh great, forgot to tell you the price is around 45.00 BZ, that's $22.00 per night US.

#219018 03/22/05 01:43 PM
S
S
We stayed at the Vega Inn apartments which are on Front Street across from the Sand Box, but the yard is lovely and huge, so it's like a little hideway. The apartments are rustic, but come with a refrigerator and mini kitchen, 2 bedrooms, indoor bathroom with shower (with real hot water and good pressure), daily maid service. It was very comfortable. The Vega's also have their place where they rent rooms, that has a large yard on the beach with hammocks, etc that you can use if you stay at the apartments. We thought it was great and very conveniently close to everything. The 2 bedroom apartment is $200/week US + tax so that works out to be about $30/night.
http://www.vega.com.bz

#219019 11/19/05 02:58 PM
L
L
skubacat....three of us are staying in the vega apartments this January. we've rented on the island before but closer to the split. we've reserved the upstairs unit. From the pictures sent, the porch looks very small and it appears that inside only a table and some chairs are the furnishings. We thought there might be a little sitting area. either on the porch or in side. And I guess there is no tv? anything you can tell us about the apartment is appreciated. my husband may be there for several months.

#219020 11/21/05 03:45 PM
S
S
The upstairs porch is pretty small but I think there is enough room for 3 to sit. The people that had it rented when we were there (in the lower apt) had a hammock up there. The yard is huge though, and has a picnic table, a couple of benches and a hammock. That's where we spent most of our time. No TV in the rooms....but that is one of the last things I look for.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day