BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I am planning a trip to Caye Caulker in October and would love advise on taking tours to the mainland. We really either want to go to Tikal or Xunantunich. Who is the best person to book this trip with? Which site would be better to go to from the island?

D
D
Xan is my favorite Mayan site in Belize but Tikal is my favorite in the world.To go by gringo bus from the Belize City watertaxi terminal to Tikal is the best.

A
AlJ Offline
A
Hi
I can't imagine to and from Tikal in a day from Caye Caulker. I'm not sure you could realistically do it. Assuming you can catch the water taxi exactly when you needed to it has to be around 5 hours each way.

Xunantunich might be doable bit its probably 3 hours away from Caye Caulker. That might be interesting since you could see some country side.

Here's a link to a Caulker site running tours to ruins. I haven't been to these ruins and haven't gone with Tsunami so this is just information, not a recommendation.
http://www.tsunamiadventures.com/mayan%20ruins.htm

We split our trip up between Caye Caulker and San Ignacio but we had 9 days.

If you want to read about that and see the pictures try www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Pick Trip Reports / Belize

Start with Caye Caulker 2005 and then look at San Ignacio. That's the order we did it. There's pictures of Caracol and Tikal.

Pictures of Xunantunich are in the Placencia trip report and pictures.

C
C
You can easily get to Tikal in a day, seeing it that same day would be tough. We have been several times with company that comes to visit. We take the water Taxi to Belize City and then a regular bus to San Ignacio . If you leave on the 7;30 boat even with the change in the bus system you can usually get to San Ignacio soon after noon. Their are many nice hotels in town for $20 to $25 U.S for 2 people. You can check with Evas, talk to Bob and book a Tikal one day trip from their or they will drop you off on a one way basis. You then have time in the afternoon to go see Xan and a little of the Cayo and head to Tikal the next morning. Tikal is huge and beautiful, tourist somtimes over do it trying to see everything, being well rested will help enjoy the experience.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you everyone for responding. I have found that we can fly $$ for a one day trip.
We are starting to think that we may stay overnight though to be able to take everything in.
Any other recommendations on who to book with and how to go about this is welcomed.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I suggest to go to Tsunami, it is the shop just before the split. They can organise flights, mainland tours and any tours from the island, full of information and very helpful, ask for Heather. We organised all our trips with them and they were fantastic.
Have a great trip

F
F
You can make it one day by bus if you leave early (7-8 am). Stay the night in Flores and take an early bus to Tikal. If you fly you can see a part of it but why? You are at an incredible Meso-American city! Stay at one of the inns at Tikal for two days min.. The restaurant farthest from the inns is our favorite as the local people eat there. Get there early if you want frioles nigra with your rice!

D
D
Falcos is right about all. By staying at one of the hotels near the entrance you can enjoy the place at night. Many wild animals walk through the hotels. We played with a baby wild cat at Tikal Inn one morning.You may still be able to enter at night in the Ruins.

J
OP Offline
J
We are thinking of spending the night now. Is it better to stay at one of the hotels in the park or to go to Flores? Flores sounds like a nice place to visit.

C
C
You could do both as they are very different in what they have to offer. In Tikal you would want to get up early before dawn as its not unusual to see jaguars and wildlife in and out of the park. Flores on the other hand is charming a European feeling on the small island of cobblestone streets, lots of shops and restaurant, romantic, no need to get up early, you can see most of it in 3 hours or so and then head out.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day