Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#220826 04/13/06 03:37 PM
I
iamsaz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
hey jaz: don't worry, I am not offended by your question. I was worried I might offend some people by even asking if Caye Caulker was safe, you know?

mslisa: thanks for the information about CC. It's too cool that you got to hang out with the locals!! I'd feel fortunate if I ever got a chance to do that. So common sense seems to be the main thing for me to keep in mind while I am there. That I can do.

You guys are probably going to think this is silly, but one of the reasons why I asked if CC was safe was because of my parents. I'm 40 years old and they still worry about me!!! I think the information I've gotten on this board will play a part in easing their minds. If not, they'll just have to deal with the fact that sooner or later I'll be traveling to CC alone. Funnyy how at my age I still want to keep the peace and ask them not to worry about me. :-)

#220827 04/13/06 10:47 PM
M
M
I heard that! I'll be 39 in June myself!
Aw, you'll always be their baby. My folks are the same way. My mother was quite tripped out when I planned my first trip to Central America.

Oh and if you're on a budget try the locals food. It's the bomb and a good deal. Belizeans can cook man! And they don't skimp on portions. There's excellent vendors on the front page and sis Marla's Kitchen is exquisite.

#220828 04/16/06 01:29 PM
I
iamsaz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Happy Easter everyone. [Linked Image]

Mslisa, I get the impression that you have traveled quite a bit. How are your parents about it now? Are they still as worried about you traveling alone or are they a bit better about it now? I'm just wondering what I have to look forward to. haha

What I had of the local food was fantastic and I can't wait to try more. Those Belikins were awesome as well. I can't wait to get back there and drink more of them.

#220829 04/16/06 06:30 PM
M
M
Good question! Well, they've resided to the fact that I am as (primarily) my mother raised me; adventurous spirit and self-reliant. My mother was much the same way in her younger days. Their concern is just an expression of love.

Belikin is good, girl! I like One Barrel a lot, too. What I don't favor is bitters - yipes! I'd rather drink deisel fuel. Nothing makes it taste *any better, not even milk. It's like the moonshine of Belize, but folks sure get creative making their own out of herbs, anise, even fermented fruits. I laugh as I write this thinking how bad that stuff is. I straight spit it out!

#220830 04/17/06 11:25 AM
A
AlJ Offline
A
Hi
I couldn't resist throwing this out. We have two daughters that are 28 and 25. We haven't quit worrying about them when they travel. Probably won't. They both have traveled a good bit, especially the younger one. We worry and they do their thing anyway. They they come back and we're jealous that we didn't have such a good trip.

Be glad your parents worry about you. It means they care. Listen to what they tell you. Then go do your own thing and have fun. Everyone will be happy.

We've met a few single female travelers on Caye Caulker. We enjoyed talking to them and hearing about their travels. We're probably jealous of their sense of adventure. If it were our girls we'd be worried.

Just acknowledge that parents are a little goofy sometimes.

#220831 04/17/06 11:47 AM
I
iamsaz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
lisa: you make me laugh out loud every time I read one of your posts. I was really cracking up reading what you wrote about bitters. You'd rather drink diesel fuel? That pretty much says it all for me. lolol Thanks for the warning. I won't even try it!

When we were on the island my son ordered a Belikin but he didn't like it, which was cool with me. I gladly drank mine and then finished his off too! One Barrel I will have to try when I get there, and I look forward to it.

Yes, I am lucky enough to have parents who worry about me and I realize it's because they love me. But I worry that they worry about me. Does that make any sense? lol All I want is for the worrying to be kept in perspective. I am sure I will get a taste of what they are experiencing soon, as my son is 18 and about to graduate from high school. Soon he will be off doing his own thing. I guess I'll resort to what my own parents surely do with me, which is pray alot. [Linked Image]

#220832 04/17/06 04:50 PM
M
M
Aw thanks Iamsaz! That stuff really is gross tho. I ain't lyin. One Barrel is choice; with a fresh Coke and a slice of lime. Funky col' medina foh real.

Oh, and also try Belizean chimole (aka black dinner). Excellent Mestizo dish with conch, pepper, a boil egg, and chicken. Really super yummy. And fry jacks - omg - heaven with some jam or honey in the morning.

Also, fry barracuda is the bomb. Okay, I need to chill out. I can't wait come back!
lol. Feel free to drop a line anytime! Here's my email adrs [email protected]

#220833 04/17/06 09:39 PM
I
iamsaz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Yeah you need to chill out and quit talking about all the food and drinks. As of right now I only have tentative plans to visit in November and hearing about all the food and drinks makes me want to drop everything and leave this second. I tell you, this is torture! I should throw caution to the wind and buy my plane tix right now! I am waiting, however, to see if some of my friends would like to join me. If not I'll go anyway. heh I'm giving them a little more time to decide, but not much.

Wow all that food really sounds good. Ok well actually I've never had conch and I don't know what a Mestizo dish is, or fry jacks for that matter but hey I'll try any food once. I'm not sure if I could eat a barracuda though, since I know what they look like. Good thing I didn't have a true idea of what eel looked like before I started eating that at the sushi bars.

Man, I'm getting hungry.....

I'll be emailing you lisa. Thanks for the addy!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day