Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#220882 04/23/06 02:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I just wanted to take this opportunity to write a letter to the village council about the garbage disposal problem in Caye Caulker. Being aware that Easter Weekend was very busy and there was a lot of visitors.
Is their any hopes of a weekly garbage disposal program.
When is the next village council meeting?
Thank you local resident

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Yah he is realy busy doing some real busy .. he wouldn't mind reading that.. so keep it to yourself

cheers,

D
D
You didn't mean that this is your letter? You should write a letter on paper and drop it off at the Village Council office.
They are genuinely interested in hearing sensible ideas.

I'm confused. Are you talking about:

A) Technical - A new garbage "disposal" system, somehow replacing the burning dump.

or

B) Cultural - Dealing with education, actual littering fines (or arrests), general street cleanup.

We all see the land and surrounding waters being used as f*cking garbage cans. In my opinion too much of the garbage doesn't make it as far as the dump to be "disposed" of, and that is the real problem.

Just like we aren't going to see a "big time marina" on Caye Caulker, we will also never see a proper garbage disposal facility. We don't need it. The dump is what it is.

R
R
Being a restaurant owner on the island I am extremely burnt out on supporting the crack heads on the island cause they are the only willing to do the job. I lived in Placencia and they had a great garbage system with trailer and it all reached the dump then .. up to the Village Council.
The guys on the island hired by the Village Council work really hard to keep up with all of the plastic soda bottles....

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
A garbage collection system sounds like a great idea and plan for the immediate future of Caye Caulker. Monday or Tuesday do one section of the island, Wednesday - Thursday the mid section and Friday the back section. Charge a fee to residents, business owners accordinaly and have them put their garbage by the curb on their set day for their area. Sounds simple. Employ the same cart guys to help with the service. This will eliminate the people who use the back of their own street to toss their household trash. This practise should be illegal and the individuals doing this should be fined and stopped. I and many would praise the village council if they started a garbage collection service.

D
D
The CCVC doesn't want to put all the poor people out of business. There was a collection service that worked out poorly. Now I put my garbage out any day with BZ$0.25 under it and it is taken away by a kid.
You need not do business with crackheads. Our system works very well.Those who pile garbage behind the house are following the social customs of their homeplace.
The trash in the street is a different problem that the cops can't change. We are changing that in the schools.
On Earth Day all the kids came out and cleaned up the island. When given plastic packs of water, many threw them down after. I took my best crew to clean up after that and give hell to the others.
Another benefit of our system is the cost.Municipal services do not pick up garbage, bill, and collect for US$0.13 a week

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I was on Caye Caulker the first two weeks of March and barely recognized the place from my previous visit (Nov. 2004). Front Street was almost completely without litter, buildings were freshly painted and nobody tried to sell me drugs. I don't know what they're doing but it's working.
The place looked great! Made me very happy to see.

L
L
I agree with Dane, Many of those men and kids would not eat if it wasnt for them able to haul and pick up garbage. Also new litter trash cans have been installed all around the island.. If the tourist would use them no problem and I think what started this was the big Easter weekend and all toursits.. Not saying we all do that. But just a point. Also I have been going there for 10 years and it has never looked better and I always see the city crews working hard in the hot sun. And always more than helpful if our teams need help in any area..

A
AlJ Offline
A
As a tourist, I liked the Betta No Litta signs around the island. I was also impressed at the number of people raking the street and area around them. In the parts where we were, the island was very clean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 154 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day