Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#223261 12/15/06 06:04 PM
bigsky Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey, I'll be visiting San Pedro in a couple weeks and am wondering about the likelihood of having things stolen from me. Obviously, I will do my best to not tempt people with valuables but are most motel/hostel rooms safe to keep belongings in? What about being out at bars? Would it be bad to leave a backpack or camera or fanny pack at a table to go dance or use the bathroom?

I'm hoping to get a very safe and comfortable feeling in Belize as I hate to be constantly looking over my shoulder and worrying about something happening.

Well, thanks for any info. Can't wait to get there!

bigsky #223262 12/15/06 06:08 PM
sp is fairly safe, but like anywhere else never leave your camera or wallet unattended at any time. You're just asking to get it stolen from a local or tourist for that matter.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination....live & enjoy every moment....

~*~Ania~*~
bigsky #223264 12/15/06 06:32 PM
Bigsky, Keep your stuff close to you at all times and you should have no problems. Don't leave valuables like camera, wallet, pocketbook (Not saying you carry one but just in case you do wink )etc. laying around. Leave any extra valuables you wont be needing that day (credit cards, money, passport, jewelry) in a safe @ your resort. I have never had any problems on Ambergris Caye (I have been there many times) But I always try to remember to lock up golf cart, bikes, even my boat & motor gets locked to the dock with a heavy cable, put valuables in a safe, etc. etc. You get the idea. grin

Last edited by 2MILESNORTHOFCUT; 12/15/06 06:33 PM.

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
2MILESNORTHOFCUT #223267 12/15/06 06:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
There is quite a lot of "petty theft" here, but with a little common sense you should be OK. Absolutely do not assume that your room is secure, because properties do get broken into. 2MNOT is about spot-on.

#223291 12/16/06 01:14 AM
If you were out at a club at home, would you leave your still be surprised if either of those items were gone when you came back all sweaty from the dance floor?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

seashell #223362 12/16/06 11:38 PM
bigsky Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep, I'd be really surprised. I don't live in a big city and people are pretty trustworthy around here. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of random pics on my camera though.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

bigsky #223389 12/17/06 02:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm afraid the days you can reasonably expect something not to be taken in those circumstances are long gone in most places. A sporting club I belonged to from 1980 experienced its first theft in 1989. Prior to then people had left money, cameras etc lying around and nothing ever happened. Since 1989 that's all changed. As a child in the 1960's I didn't even own a bicycle lock, but left my bicycle unattended all over the place for days on end.

It's sad that the (western) world has changed so much. Is the general relaxation of criminal sanctions solely to blame? You know, the penalty being appropriate to the crime, and justice being rapid. Nowadays justice is so far removed from the offence that it ceases to be justice, and in any case the penalties are usually notional and fully divorced from the offence.

#223399 12/17/06 04:35 PM
Pedro 2
You are so right! And it all starts in the home where adults are afraid of their own children and there are little or no consequences to bad behavior. When parents will not allow schools to discipline their children and teachers sometimes fear for their lives.
I'm happy to say that here in San Pedro any adult can still tell a child to stop doing something and not be afraid of being shot. I find that by asking "Does your mamma know you are doing that?" they usually stop.
Most of the crime here is one of opportunity - but even that is changing. However, I must say I am very impressed with the current police force. They have been responding quickly and solving many crimes.
I must add however, that not everyone wants them to enforce all crimes. (If you know what I mean?)

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #223400 12/17/06 04:49 PM
No, what do you mean? Which laws? Why?

San Pedro Daily #223427 12/18/06 12:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
seashell - sorry to post here, belongs in Chat but have lived in same neighborhood in NJ since 1974. Have never locked house, or cars, still don't.kids growing up left bikes, etc on curbs by street for years, never experienced a theft or heard of even one in this area. Maybe unusual but their are safe places (I know, safe till something happens, fortunately has not) Police blotters in area just lists of DUI's not much else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.