Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#224609 12/25/06 11:48 AM
catdog Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I'd pass this on. We've watched some great animal scenes here and thought some of you may find it interesting too.

This is the email from the friend who sent it on to me with the link:

Here is the information about the live webcam at the watering hole in Africa. We have seen zebras, baboons, wildebeests, ducks or geese, turtles, deerlike animals, and more. Very interesting. If you see that the picture looks black and white, that means it is after dark in Africa, and in our experience you won't see much at that time. Best to watch at midnight or later, our time, when it is morning in Africa, or at 6 AM or later our time, when it is in the afternoon in Africa. They are 7 hours ahead of our Eastern Standard Time.

The camera is located at Nkoro Bush Lodge in the prestigious Sabi Sands Game Reserve, bordering the Kruger National Park, in South Africa. The Sabi Sands Game Reserve is named after two rivers that run through the area. The area is renowned for "the big five" - lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo. It is rated as one of the best reserves in Africa to see these large animals in their natural habitat, in particular leopard. The apparatus causes the camera to turn when motion is detected. It can be something as small as a dung beetle or rustling leaves of a bush, to large animals. Once the moving object is sighted, the camera zooms in and auto-focuses. If you right-click you can enlarge the picture to full screen size. Be sure your sound is on. At night you hear insects, and during the day you hear birds, plus other animal sounds.

Nkoro pan (panoramic camera) is located in the North Eastern corner of the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, and about 1km (0.62 miles) from the unfenced boundary with the Kruger National Park. The Pan is situated at the bottom of an open plain, about 250m from Nkoro Bush Lodge and is frequented by a number of resident animals, in particular is the resident herd of wildebeest and impala and a family of warthogs that can often been seen drinking and wallowing in the mud. The camera is located on top of a termite mound on the Eastern side of the pan and looks Westerly when viewing the pan.

The camera is a day/night pan/tilt/zoom camera with an 18-power zoom with the ability of panning almost 360 degrees. The camera is fitted with infra red light for night time viewing. The Sabi Sands is very productive from a game viewing perspective throughout the year with a peak viewing over the winter months from May through to November. Nkoro Pan can be viewed on the Africam website on a 30s refresh rate or alternatively live real time streaming with audio on the Africam Wildlife Channel.

Click below to visit the watering hole.

http://live.wildlife.wavelit.net/451OK

Have fun! We are really enjoying this a lot.

It's night time there, and watching is sorta like watching paint dry. But, I want to see it in the daytime, I'm sure it's a lot more interesting. The sounds are incredible. I wish I could see what ever it is that's making the chewing noises, and what they are eating. Who ever started this had a wonderful idea. I'd love to be there in person, to see the animals. This is pretty fascinating!!

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
Another link is www.earthcam.com Not only that particular place, but tons of others as well. Worth checking out.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Nova #224623 12/25/06 03:27 PM
D
DB Offline
D
You might try http://www.africam.com/boma/
Been watching this one for years and even at night the scenes can be pretty cool....

DB #224624 12/25/06 03:44 PM
catdog Offline OP
OP Offline
DB I think the one you link to is the same place in Africa. It is cool to check out.

Sun, last night around midnight the kids and I saw lions and then a herd of antelope(?). One of the antelope ended up fodder for the Kings. The other night we saw a few elephant.

Take care..

Thanks all I been playing on these sites this am and found some cool stuff.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I find this to be the most direct link. I'm addicted!

http://www.wavelit.com/index.asp?ch=Wildlife&sh=africam

Nova #224849 12/28/06 01:24 PM
catdog Offline OP
OP Offline
It is Nova!! Then you can go to the forums also from the www.africam.com site. We dont always know what we are seeing so there are many "addicts" there who identify the animals that come to the watering hole on the forum boards and post webshots of animals that we may have missed.(the gazelle we thought we were watching were impala apparently..).ya, we are sort of addicted too!! :-)
Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you as well, catdog - hope it's the best year ever.

Did take a quick peek at the forums, but that's all I need right now! LOL This one keeps me busy enough.

Nova #224930 12/30/06 01:14 AM
L
L
This web cam is great! There is a place in N. California called Safari West which is probably as close as I will get to the land of Africa. Does this preserve have panthers, tigers?

isn't it nice that animals allow us to live with them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.