Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
AIRCRAFT BUILDING IN BELIZE HAS COME A LONG WAY!

by Ray Auxillou

Light manufacturing of aircraft has come a long way in Belize since colonial days of the former British Honduras. Nowadays, at least three aircraft have been built from scratch to plans in Belize and nobody knows how many ultra light kit built airplanes are flying the skies? The aviation department issues no statistics. With limited range, most homebuilt experimental and ultra light sports aircraft in Belize are more of a hobby than serious flying. Flying is done around the farm, or the Caye, or up in the mountains.
Three aircraft were built of mahogany and ceconite, or polyfiber covering, with Volkswagon engines back some eight years ago. Whatever remains of them are up in the Belizean Mennonite communities, who lead innovation and manufacturing in Belize.
//www.ambergriscaye.com/BzLibrary/aircraftpicspage.html
http://belize1.com/BzLibrary/trust472.html
http://falconview0.tripod.com/pietenpolhomebuiltairplaneproject

Since then, airplanes of the ultra light category requiring no license requirements in the International arena, have come and gone here in Belize, with visitors who stay here for a year or two, or have retired in Belize. Currently there are ultra light aircraft spraying crops in the Belizean Mennonite farms of Blue Creek and Spanish Lookout. These intrepid Belizean roots Caucasian people descended from Mexican immigrants have constantly taught themselves light manufacturing in many different fields, without the benefit of a University, or College education. They make airplanes, carbon fiber canoes and rebuild diesel engines, or build hydro electric dams to produce electricity. Not bad for a population of Belizeans who mostly only attended a one room primary school house out in the rural countryside, with one teacher.
Other ultra light aircraft exist in Belize, mostly built from kits. You often hear of them over in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. There is one parked at Central Farm owned reputedly by a man in Chaa Creek who flies for fun in his Rotax engined, fabric triangular wing and aluminum framed TRIKE. Various times we hear of them down in Placentia. Some even have been assembled with amphibious ability. Their safety record is far better than driving a car, or handling a speed boat, or running a grocery shop.
This is an enormous change and improvement in Belize since colonial days, when the British CARICOM aviation inspector refused me permission to build an aircraft on Caye Caulker. He was an Englishman and in those days the English were protecting their own light manufacturing aircraft export industries to the colonies. There was a time, of a story in the newspaper of some young Belizean decades ago, who was actually arrested by overzealous provincial ignorant bureaucrats in the civil service, for trying to fly his own homebuilt experimental airplane powered by a motorcycle engine. I'll never forget that oppressive stupidity, such an event expressed, in defeating the purpose of building the nation of Belize. Today it is different. Ultra light airplanes are all over the place. Perhaps not in the dozens, because they tend to come and go with visiting owners, or tourists. But they are here and the beauty of most experimental homebuilt aircraft under 1800 lbs gross weight, as ultra lights, they are not required to be licensed in most countries, including Belize. This frees the innovative inventive spirit of humans. From such small beginnings, we can easily build a commercial ISLANDER twin engine aircraft now in this country imported from the UK, if one had the money and the mind. No longer is such technology any mystery to interested Belizeans.
Santa Elena Public Library out in the Cayo District even has a growing collection of Sports Aviation Experimental magazines, for interested airplane kit builders. One day, as internet providers start putting up the hundreds of relay antennas needed to bring internet to the rural homes in hills and valleys of Belize, there will be much more light manufacturing industry like this as rural entrepreneurs are able to research today's wealth of ideas and instructions from around the world for all manner of things. This new generation of my grandchildren will have wonderful new opportunites to build new businesses, that once were the sole perogative of the major industrialized nations.

S
S
"You often hear of them over in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye." News to me, the only one I can recall was the one that crashed and killed the owner.

"Various times we hear of them down in Placentia. Some even have been assembled with amphibious ability." Crashed while being filmed for one of the national TV stations.

Not exactly a great track record.

Marty, I still like that "dolphin" boat that you posted recently, That's a cool ride for sure. and it can "fly" too!! (Well sorta!!)

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
yeah i want one!!!!

sounds better than an ultralight!

Marty, who wrote the article?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The author's name appears at the top of the article.

thanks

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
I went to visit Doc Trummer & Bill Dixon a few months ago and saw their ultralights. Wow, I was hooked and started researching via the internet.
The ultralight that has my captured my attention and that I plan to get some day is the Challenger II.
1 seat or a 2 seater tandem. You can equip with amphibious puddlejumper floats. This would be great fun in Belize since we have so much water everywhere. Live near the water and you can land in the water in front of your property and drive onto the land and park.
http://www.challenger.ca

Doug & Maria Podzun

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.