Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Is this possible? I've heard different things -- I believe there's at least one collector in BC who sells old plastic bottles to Mexico. Is there anything tourists can do to help get all those plastic bottles recycled (besides use less bottles)?

Incidentally, I think it's quite ironic that all those "Donated by Barry Bowen" garbage cans would not fit .0001% of the trash created by his beverage company since they switched from reusable glass bottles to plastic.

OP Offline
P.S. What ever happened to The Environmental Restoration Project (ERP) team headed by Vicki Nelder?

(From a 2001 San Pedro Sun article: http://sanpedrosun.net/old/01-441.html )

The PET bottles are bought back in Belize City, not sure what they do with them. But transporting them from the island to BC probably is not cost effective.

OP Offline
Are there still collection points on the island? Or around the country?

Doesn't seem like there is any formal collection plan going on. Dabunk -- do you know WHERE in BC they buy them back?

I have seen the place but cannot remember where. Just go into Belize City and follow all the street guys carrying feed bags of empties. No collection points that I know of, street guys collect and turn in for cash. Even recently people here in PG have been collecting and cashing in.

There was a movement afoot countrywide, about four or so years ago, of pressure by the environmentally conscious to get all those Bowen plastics recycled. Some big deal came about in the form of an agreement by Bowen to recycle them and turn them into plastic pellets to make more plastic. I think it's all being trashed these days because Bowen stopped taking the empty plastic containers. No serious commitment within Belize that I know of but perhaps there is a resource for selling what is collected by random people to Mexico. Do you know Mary Toy, Josh? She's an environmental activist living in Placencia. Mary is probably apprised of what the situation currently is.

You can still buy all the soda pop you want in glass bottles, which are recycled.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Some program is still in place as I saw 5 guys today collecting plastic bottles. Someone is still handling them or else these guys would not be wasting their time.

P
P
Yes, you can turn them back into the distributor here and get $.05 per plastic bottle (no matter the size). The word is that they are ground down into plastic pellets and reused for new bottles.

S
S
I just throw my bottles and other trash into the Sea and it floats away, ... I think.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.