Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Elbert, I appreciate your geographical expertise, but I think most of us use the town of San Pedro as a "center" point, and then go south or north of there. Granted, there is a lot more island north, and from where you are, we are probably ALL south of you, but when I speak of N and S, it is using San Pedro as the central location. The Mexico Rock area is very north of where I go, so I guess if you drew the line there, I'd be south. I think perhaps being too literal will only complicate things. In town is a given...below town is south, above town is north. Any questions?

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
Elbert: I know Bobby Mason...definitely a Southerner...but who is this Dixion???

So lets talk about this road now that we know where we all are.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North [Re: belizeonthebeach]
Denny Shane Denny Shane

Am curious about the non-existant road through Journey's End?
Journeys end was made before the master plan, with out thought that a road might have to one day go through from the south to the north and no provision or space was put aside for it.It will some day suffer greatly having developed buildings that block progress because progress is a_______to stop or even renegotiate. with. The Mayor has made comments/suggestions that land owners be responsible for the road construction and maintenance for the sections that pass near or through their property because the Town doesn't have the money to do so. Thats not one of her better ideas but when you see the result of traffic flowing through and past in leave of a proper road you bend.
and I'm sorry to say it really comes down to the property tax issue again. the Tax money isn't going to help residents in the (You know where) get any benefit even though 75% of the tax base comes from the (you know where) end of the island.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Seems that the tax base is spreading rapidly, becoming evened out over the entire coast.

elbert, I know the reality of it all and knowing the layout of JE from a one time inside person so to speak... I just wanted to bring it to light and see how the authorities proposed to handle that particular situation.

At one time, prior to the storm, JE had an expanse of property in front of it all... then the storm and ocean reclaimed just about the whole front. Now there is no place for a road unless it is done in front of those Lagoon rooms and cuts the property in half.... which is fine with me.

San pedro daily

San Pedro town council has over the years changed the tax rates and given discounts for remoteness to town services, occupied or unoccupied land also in the past different rates for residents and non residents. In efforts to be fair but at the same time make land purchase for the purpose of speculation have to pay a price, but currently 1.5 market value is the rate, market value being the price it 'last' sold for. Property from rocky point to macro Gonzales, (all the way north to south. The North paying to the town board 1.5 of the recently purchased $300,000.00us 100 foot wide lots that line the beach for the 15 miles of the 'North'( if you draw the line at the river) to the southern town of San Pedro that doesn't have the money to fix the road in the north but spent a million on coble stoning their village.
This is what I mean when I say I have been entertained over the years watching the comedy of development and politics on the island.

White Sands Dive Shop
i do not feel that the condition of the road northbound from the bridge will affect the tourism dollar, therefore nothing will change.

Taxation with out representation has been historically motivation for change.
If we challenged the right of San Pedro Town Board to Annex portions of Belize that it can't provide service for and won. The property tax money would then be paid directly to Belmopan (this has been done in the islands history twice).
The real threat of this might get a pot hole or two filled.

White Sands Dive Shop
Which potholes? North or South? Red or Blue?

Most of the old meets and bounds descriptions begin with a premable referring to the town centre being the San Pedro Catholic Church. Distances are measured and refered to as X #of miles north, south or west of the Church.

Does that help with definitions in this day and age?

Although sadly road provisions were not planned in the past, there will be a road to all points north.

The "wild wild west" approach to island living is quickly coming to a close and a more structured existence is begining. NO, we don't all like the progress, but now is a time to mold that progress rather than trying to ignore it or trying to buck the system so to speak.

Life is going to be very interesting from here on out! Are we all up for the challenge??? I like to think that we are.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.