Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lemnia Offline OP
OP Offline
L
OK, we leave on June 9 for Ambergris Caye, myself,and two children aged 13 & 15 years. Our doctors and the local health dept have informed me that although Malaria tablets are not required for entry,they are recommended. Sooo.... I have filled the perscriptions,which we are supposed to start taking a week before departure,( one a week for seven weeks!) However, I have now heard that they can cause unpleasant side affects. This is the last thing we want while traveling,and I'm perplexed as to whether we really need to take them at all? Could someone who has any info on this PLEASE help me? Thanks, Karin.

Karin
In nineteen trips, since 1992, some with my teen children, we have NEVER taken anything. IF you are going to be in the jungle for weeks on end then yes, but, otherwise I wouldn't take them.
Have fun!

L
L
When we travelled in Indonesia and Thailand we carried a medication in the event we contacted Malaria. Much better because while the chances are slim you have the assurance of the medication if it does happen. If you are concerned you might want to look into that option. How long will you stay in Amergris? We are hoping to go in August.

F
F
without refuting your info, (not A doctor) the only thing for malaria is a prophilaxis, not contracting it in the first place. whenever i am down i do take the pills, nasty as they are. i do spend time in the bush, (gotta my see my piece of the jungle ya know). if you are staying in san pedro and not going anywhere it is not a problem.

if in doubt, chloroquine is the easy way to aviod unpleasant complications..better than the alternative

[This message has been edited by fred (edited 05-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by fred (edited 05-29-2000).]

this meesage created by 100% recycled electrons
I found that the first pill I took made me feel a bit off that day, but that was the only side-effect at all.
Are you going to be taking any trips to the jungle, like a day trip to Lamanai? I didn't get a single bite in San Pedro, but I've heard that if you go to the end of the island you can be covered in minutes.
I guess you need to decide if some "unpleasant side-effects" are worth the small but real chance of contracting maleria.

S
S
We just got back from AC and went both north and south on the island, found the only thing we needed was deep woods off, kept all the misquitoes away, so malaria not a problem with the off. had a great time!

S
Sue Offline
S
My trips have been in March, June, November and January thru April. I have not experienced mosquito problems, however, I did have my 4-year old son take the anti-malarial pills for a 3-month trip in January. I took them for about a month and felt somewhat queezie with them, so I stopped. My understanding via the Center for Disease Control is that Belize is considered a risk for malaria, yet, I've heard of few actual incidents. If you're staying in San Pedro you're probably okay. When I return with my son for a longer term, I don't plan to continue the drugs. Frankly, I have not heard of concrete information to encourage me to do so on a longer-term basis.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.