Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
As of today, I've only visited the island once,last November, but have been a "lurker" on this board for some time. From the postings that I have read there seems to be two distinct attitudes toward "life in paradise". One brings to light the absolute beauty of this part of the world, while the other part points out some of the inequities perceived as being perpetrated upon the general public. As both a foreigner and non resident I would not presume to express an opinion on the merrits of the government or the laws of the land. However, there are things within the population that seem apparant to most observers. Some of these outstanding issues,IMHO,are a disparaging difference in the distribution of wealth,and the maintenance and development of public infrastructure and public services. Long term environmental and tourism development planning seems to have gone by. Are there groups working on these things, as priorities? Are the activities of these groups just not transparent to the visiting tourist?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
E
E
Yo Don, i'm not sure the sentiments expressed on this board are representative. I've lived here my whole life, except for my terciery education in the states.most of us love the island, and work behind the sceens to keep the island/country headed in the right direction. The MAIN problem is appathetic politicians.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
AC and Belize in general have a lot going for them. I would say the main problem is structural corruption. I'm not sure how it's developed in the 25 years since colonial rule ended, since I doubt it was much of an issue before then, but it really is a serious problem.

Just a quick overview of the country's finances (what comes in vs. what goes out) shows there must be something very wrong somewhere, and when you look at the tremendous wealth of certain people who can only have acquired it dishonestly and remember that the base population of the country is only 1/4 million, it's not difficult to see why it has had such a dramatic effect.

Belize needs to manufacture much more of what it consumes and long-term there's no reason why this shouldn't happen, but when and how will it start?

Post deleted by Jesse

OP Offline
If the voting population has the "right" to petition the government, their petition might demand a constitutional convention where upon, the taxation laws and certain legislative 'prerogatives' might be eliminated. I said "right" because certain US southern states do not permit its citizens to write legal provisions which would be brought to the public for vote, and bypassing the legislatures grubby hands.

I agree with you that a manufacturing base would definately improve the lot for the local economy, but it seems unlikely that one will be developed under existing law. But then "only in America, can a foreigner (ie, non citizen) open a business and run it without having a citizen as an equal partner. I think that even "co-owned" businesses are not permitted in Belize, and with the one sided distribution of wealth in Belize, it seems unlikely that venture capitol will be readily avilable to the locals. On the surface it seems like the difficulties can only be resolved through "political education" at the ballot box.

OP Offline
Really Sorry San Pedro Daily for intruding on your space. I regret having brought the subject up, and withdraw all comments.

Post deleted by Jesse

OP Offline
Please,,,,,,,,, The subject of this post is "A PERCEPTION of things in Belize",,,,,,, And it asked two questions.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Originally Posted by San Pedro Daily
Putting things in perspective...the ones that have been here the shortest are the ones with the biggest mouths.

Please explain.

C
C
Originally Posted by San Pedro Daily
Putting things in perspective...the ones that have been here the shortest are the ones with the biggest mouths.

That's really pretty funny, given the writer.

I was going to get a life, but this was easier.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.