Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#227512 01/20/07 11:06 AM
OP Offline
I am always amazed at the number of people in this town that say that the police can't/won't help. I have always had fantastic support and response from the police. I have lived here full time since 1980, back when we had one policeman. I have been a special constable when we desperately needed more police but government couldn't provide them, and I fully support the police department now, whether it is a donation of an old computer, printer, reams of paper, photocopying etc. I have found 95% of the police personnel to be polite, courteous, responsive, sensitive and supportive.

As with any person, in any land, if you treat somebody with contempt and disdain, you won't find an overly eager response.

I believe that the police are doing an outstanding job with the few resources they have at their disposal.

Perhaps a little attitude adjustment in the community might help support these brave men and women, rather than the current lack of community spirit.

The neighbourhood watches also need to be supportive of the police and if you report a crime and the criminal is apprehended you have to follow through with pressing charges and showing up in court. I know this in inconvenient, but as with any free nation, this is the only way to receive justice.

Right on, Amanda. Given what little resources the PD has to work with, any and ALL support would be welcomed, I'd think. Do you know if they have a "deputy" program, where those who have had some kind of law enforcement in the states, or people who are interested in assisting with responing to scenes are allowed to help? My hubby has a law enforcement background, and may not want to be a full time cop, but would be interested in helping out where he could.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
Sun&sand #227534 01/20/07 02:50 PM
OP Offline
Yes there is a special constable program and also a volunteer fire service for those with some experience or aptitude.

Will try and get some relevant info together and post.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
In my view the quality of policing on AC has improved immeasurably in the past two or three years. This appears to be a direct consequence of a deliberate change in policy, not just an evolution. The senior officers presently in post are doing an excellent job.

#227661 01/21/07 04:07 PM
Amanda, I think you are exactly right about the police department being made stronger and more efficient with the help on volunteers. I don't know how it works in Belize, but in my area a person doesn't have to be a certified police officer to provide a significant help to the PD. Typists, record keepers, dispatchers, even housekeepers can free up an officers time for law enforcement. Personally I spent 15 years, after retirement, working for our county sheriff and several municipal police departments. You might be amaized at the value of computerized police reports. I wish you every success in the development of a great volunteer law enforcement service.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
OP Offline
Thanks for the encouragement and vote of confidence!

I read an article on the Channel 5 website about a robbery in (a restaurant) in San Pedro. It stuck out in my mind becuase it was done by 'three males' and was violent in nature. I wondered if it was at all related to the robbery that was posted here on the guy who was mugged by 'three men' too?

Community support and public cooperation is very effective in solving and deterring crime. I also have heard good things about the San Pedro Police Cadet program for the youth. Wishing continued success in keeping the thugs at bay.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.