Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
http://www.ichblog.eu:80/content/view/172/41/

Great documentary Marty. I see the same sad commentary on culture as everyone else. It breaks my heart to see a young Black girl equate dark skin with being "bad."

Here's where I may get beaten up. I completely disagree with the conclusions drawn by the documentary and by the comments.

The assertion is that this is all due to oppression from "whitey" and because Black culture was stripped from slaves coming over from Africa.

I think this is a tremendous leap in logic to say that slavery continues to be the driving force behind a lack of self-confidence in the Black community. It goes completely unchallenged. I don't discount that slavery was the impetus, but I think it's a convenient argument to continue to assert this is THE driving force behind cultural problems today.

Just my two cents.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Add my 2 cents to Otters. It makes me sad to see things like this so prevalent in the black culture. I don't believe it is a stereotype that is predominantly fostered by whites. My issues are with the self appointed representatives of the culture, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the rest. Their mantra which keeps them in power is that "it's not your fault, you are being kept down. Let me represent you and I will take care of it". BS. It is this rhetoric that instills a totally illogical inferiority complex on so much of black society, along with a general hostility towards whites. If you are black and succeed, it is because you sold out. If you rebel and don't succeed, guess why? I firmly believe in judging a person by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. Unfortunately, many who are judged by the content of their character by society would rather say it is because of their color. I believe I saw some stats recently on the relative success of later immigrants versus those who were born here. Quite a difference (color? or attitude?). Again, I consider myself non-rascist. I work with many different races (black included)and nationalities. I have those I respect and those I don't. but it has nothing to do with race.
I wish there was a solution, but it is going to have to come from within their community, and part of it is going to be ignoring any of the ignorant folks on both sides of the color line.
Just my opinion, of course, and just as good as anyone elses.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
One other thing, self image. My dear wife works for plastic surgeons. How about all these white girls who need bigger/smaller boobs, lipo, Botox and everything else. No ones self image is what they would like.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
The one girl stated that a mother she knows started using "bleaching creams" on her young children at age 6 and 11. What kind of message is that sending those poor precious children? Then the other young girl's mother telling her not to wear her hair natural because she looks to "African". They could NEVER develop any kind of positive self image with that coming from their own mother. That is coming from within, not from without. This self loathing is so deeply ingrained that they pass it from generation to generation. It is impossible to develop racial pride and self esteem when your own mother is indirectly telling you that you're ugly and inferior. This is a tradgedy that is far reaching and ignored at so many levels. It's gut wrenching. The scene with the dolls made me cry, but with their own mothers reinforcing this, it will be hard to change. As more positive role models emerge, they will be the ones to make the difference. We just need more. Much, much more.

Agreed Debbie. It is mind-boggling to me that so many look at this poignant video and do not see it like you do. Racism still exists -- no doubt. However, there is a bigger enemy to equality than 19th century slavery or the white middle-class practicing economic discrimination today. All garbage.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.