Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#229293 02/05/07 12:53 AM
T
Tangles Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello, can anyone tell me how to reach the 'humane society' on Caye Caulker. I know they come periodically to neuture and possibly give some animals some care. I would like to offer a donation to them. We are also looking at returning and adopting one of our favourite dogs from the island and anyone who has any experence travelling with a dog to and from the island, any input would be appreciated. I am checking with airlines to see what the requirements are. Continental seem good as they allow you take a dog as a 'carry-on' onto the plane with you. Can someone tell me the nearest vet, for example, who could give the dog the required vaccinations? And the best place to find a suitable crate for carrying the dog? Any other input would be much appreciated.

Thank you and we very much enjoyed our stay on Caye Caulker and can't wait to return.

All of your answers are going to come from Dawn and Kathy at Belize Dive Services. They arrange most/all the veterinary/adoption services on the island. Here is their info:

http://www.belizedivingservice.com/
Telephone: 011-501-226-0143
email: [email protected]
Fax: 011-501-226-0217

T
Tangles Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you, I have emailed them already!!!

I appreciate what you are trying to do.

The quarantine rules for bringing animals in from another country are quite stiff. You may have to keep your pet in quarantine for as long as 120 days. You will have to have a vet certificate for health verification.

I have wanted to do this before but found that adopting from the local humane society is much better. Keeping an animal in quarantine for such a length of time is not good for the animal.

Good luck!

S
S
Quarantine is not required as long you have the correct paperwork from your vet. The requirements can be found at http://www.baha.bz/

Must be specific to the country.

My wife works with animals all over the world and said this could be an issue. My guess its area specific.

S
S
Correct, going back to the US with an animal from Belize does not require quarantine either.

C
C
I have brought dogs here, one very big dog. Its very easy, the cost is only $12.50. Never left with one but people do. The Ladies at Belize Dive Services will go out of their way to help you. I have friends who fly back and forth regularly with their small carry on dogs, and I am sure they are not quarantined, vet certificates a must, but thats easy also. One thing, alot of the dogs here seem to be strays, but actually belong to someone, true they would be better off with a full time caring family, Kathy and Dawn pretty much know the whos who of all the dogs here.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
R
R
There seems to be plenty of dogs in Caye Caulker. I hear the strays packing at nite. The dogs are very annoying and some extremly aggressive. If they don't keep the population of mutts down it will soon be dog poop island.

C
C
The dog problem comes and goes. My dog does not run free, but right now I cant even take him swimming, lately I have had to carry a long stick to keep dogs from attacking us at bay. My dog is big but extremly timid. So for now we go to the south end. As I said most all the dogs here belong to someone, they are just not resposible folks. So the community suffers. As one young Lady said. I am tierd of my dog (no longer a cute puppy) so I am giving it away. When asked to who, she replied..The Streets!!

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day