Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Debbie Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone help with this observation. While in Ambergris last week, I was very happy to see the amount of security around the island. I felt very safe. There was security at the night clubs, along the beach, along the streets and also at our condos at night. They watched everything very carefully. I was most impressed. My question is that upon leaving Belize, while waiting on a flight, I was reading about some incidents in the San Pedro paper. One involved two young American women whose bungalow was broken into while they were sleeping. Both were injured in the incident and one so seriously, that the American Embassey had her airlifted to a hospital in Miami. The other was a woman, whose husband lives in San Pedro most of the year, and she was visiting him. He went fishing early in the morning and failed to lock the door of their condo. A man broke in, held her at knife point for half an hour and took $800 US, but left her unharmed. Was the security I saw, doing so well, a result of these incidents, or is security always like this?? I personally felt very safe in San Pedro.

Debbie,

I think generally San Pedro is pretty safe. Nearly all visitors seem to feel comfortable about the level of personal safety and security on the island, from what I can tell, just as you did.

BUT, yes, incidents have happened -- over the years ... murders, rapes, muggings, knifings. And doubtless they will continue. Just like in any town of 5000 or so in the U.S. or Canada. Perhaps a bit more so in San Pedro, because the tens of thousands of "rich" tourists (certainly rich by Central American and Mexican standards) who visit are magnets for the bad guys not only in Belize but in nearby surrounding countries who are out to make an easy, fast buck. Even if the San Pedro police were highly trained and remarkably efficient, which they are not, they couldn't stop all the ways that the animals have of finding victims.

So, personally, I think that visitors should enjoy themselves realizing that it is highly unlikely they will experience any crime, but that crime does happen and to use common sense precautions just as anywhere else to give themselves the best chance of avoiding it.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
H
H
I'm not going to tell you the island is safe. There are problems no matter where you go, even you're neighborhood I'm sure. There's a few bad guys out there wherever you go.
Just got back. The locals were absolutly wonderful. Enjoyed seeing the side of town where our tour guides lived. Our guides and waiters, etc. spend the day waiting on us in luxery and then go back to their tiny homes full of children and poverty. The children still look like they are so happy and the adults would do almost anything for you. Thes are happy people and actually thrive off of us and our enjoyement.

Leaving a hotel room, car, home or anything else unlocked no matter how safe you feel is just plain stupid on anyone's part.
Enjoy yourself and the people. Just make the right decisions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.