Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The good news is there's 400,000 left.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
H
hjl Offline
H
As by the travel insurer "club admits Direct" announced, there are far more deaths frequent by coconuts than deadly running shark attacks. 79 humans had been attacked in the year 2002 by sharks, whereby for 10 humans each assistance came too late. In contrast to it annually on the average 150 persons are killed by coconuts.

http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home

A
AlJ Offline
A
We're coming for a visit in a little over a week. I was looking forward to a typical stress free time. Now I have to worry about sharks and coconuts? I thought the only coconut to be concerned with was in the rum.

H
hjl Offline
H
Don´t worry,
there are only a few coconats on Caye Caulker, as well as only a few sharks.

I dive, snorkel, fish, swim in the sea and have a great deal of respect for marine life. We regularly see Bull Shark swimming inside the reef when out fishing.

We must remember that sharks and crocs are predators, just like we are and we are competing for the same resources (territory and food) that they are.

Shark are fished locally for sport and for food. Shark meat is pretty tasty. Bull sharks are listed as low risk on the endangered species list, but they are still at risk.

Sadly, as humans succeed in expanding their territory, we will gradually wipe out other large predators. There are many land predators on the brink of extinction now because of this.

Accidents with sharks are just that, accidents. Sharks aren't evil, vindictive or spiteful. Just curious and hungry. I do have concerns that the behaviour of some tour leaders and dive masters is likely to lead to a serious accident with sharks as they chum the water for the benefit of tourists. I know of one or two reef shark bite incidents.

Personally, I feel that the land sharks in Belize are far more worrisome and as long as we all behave sensibly in the sea - follow safety instructions, don't spear fish unless you really know what you are doing, don't chum, don't try to touch or interfere with wildlife - you will be able to enjoy the seas of Belize. You may even be lucky enough to see sharks or dolphins (also large sea faring predators that have had accidents with people). Be conscious that your grandchildren may never get the same opportunity because many of these species will be wiped out by the time they are adults.

But for those of you who love terrorising yourselves with scary shark tales:

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_037084046.html

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

K
K
I know that they're not really that dangerous, but they're still nasty creatures. Especially crocodiles. Very nasty creatures.

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
kvarner

You say sharks and crocs are 'nasty' creatures. Since when were wild animals in the wild nasty? I have met many 'nasty' people and also met wild animals that have been made 'nasty' by being kept as pets by people. Actually, weren't you the guy who wanted to keep a wild animal as a pet in Belize? Now your response makes sense.

Spend some time learning about wildlife, conservation and animal behaviour - particularly if you are planning to move to Belize and think that some of our most beautiful and interesting wild creatures are 'nasty'.

We clearly have a very different definition as to the word 'nasty'.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Amen Colly! Couldn't have said it better myself!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
S
S
Anyone else smell that? I'm sure I smell a Troll!

I think you are right on Simon, And a "NASTY" troll at that. mad Colly, Also Right on sister, you said it well. smile We moved in on the wildlife, They didn't move in on us!! Let them be and do not try to "Humanize" them, It's there land and water too. mad

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day