Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#230039 02/12/07 07:00 PM
H
hhays Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I am new here and need some information please. My husband and I would like to bring my son to Belize for his 30th birthday. We were looking at Victoria House and wondered if I could get some honest information on it. We have been taken so to speak in Puerta Vallerta and don't want to do that again. I talked to a travel agent today and they were not real sold on Belize but said when they book they do VH. I am in central Texas and they said there was an agent in Houston that specialized in Belize. Before I make that call, I was looking for opinions here.
Thanks for the help!

hhays #230041 02/12/07 07:09 PM
hhays - your best bet would be to use the search function. We've not stayed there simply because it's a little out of town; great if you prefer that tho. It's a beautiful place and the food is very good. The accomodations are higher-end. Enjoy your trip - Belize is a beautiful country and the people are super!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Nova #230046 02/12/07 07:43 PM
T
T
we have stayed there (vh) over a dozen times and wouldn't stay anywhere else. the grounds are beautiful, the staff is top notch, and there is a good selection of different types of rooms. while it is a ways from town, it is not a problem getting there by cab or golf cart. (which they rent on site) we have also walked to town on many occasions, (it is a bit of a hike) but there are plenty of watering holes along the way. the food is good and you can eat in the fomal dining room, outdoors, or at the bar with both indoor/outdoor seating. you can also book all of your excursions right at the hotel. all in all, a very nice quiet and tranquil place to stay.

TIMO #230049 02/12/07 07:51 PM
VH is beautiful. That being said, to me it looks more like a honeymoon/major anniversary type place. You might look at the lodging section above--there are a bunch of places. If it will just be the 3 of you, or 4, would recommend a 2 bedroom at Banana Beach, Xanadu, Banyon Bay, the Palms. Take a look at these, and a lot more. Then decide. I think that most of us here book our own place to stay, and airfare, and go from there.

TIMO #230057 02/12/07 10:10 PM
H
hhays Offline OP
OP Offline
H

Thanks for your response. My son is 30 and his girlfriend is going also. He wants a total non-tourist trap situation. Just beach and pool time and some snorkling.
My husband and I did a private villa in September in Peurta Vallarta and were terribly disappointed in out accomodations. Even though it was beautiful from the beach, it was not finished out as nicely on the inside. My specifics would be.....
Can we count on the A/C, food and water? Is the food varied enough for 4 nights?
Is there maid service? Clean towels on a daily basis?
Televisons? Computer access?
When you say it is out of town, how far out is it?
Our travel agent has not been real helpful.
Thanks for your input.

hhays #230059 02/12/07 10:21 PM
no tv's in the room, and no computer access in the room. belize isnt that kind of place...you'll understand when you get here. there arent any tourist traps here....belize is different than anywhere you've been
Victoria house is STUNNING. it is very clean, very well cared for, and it is about 2.5 miles or so outside of town. You will either walk the beach, ride one of their bikes they'll let you use, or call a cab. a cab will cost you about $15 to $20 belize one way, which is $7.50 to $10 one way. If you are only going to be here 4 nights, being that far out of town really wont be a big deal for you.

We dont drink the water from the tap here...well, not a lot if you can help it, but i'm pretty sure they make sure there is a gallon of spring water in the fridge.

seriously, do victoria house. it sounds like its exactly what you would be looking for.

H
hhays Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Do the rooms at Victoria House have kitchenettes or at least little frigs in the guest rooms?

hhays #230083 02/13/07 09:17 AM
They do have some suites with kitchenettes but they start at $540/nt low season (June - Dec 20) or $650/nt high season. Very nice place. Top notch for Belize. Great service (towels, maids, etc) Good food but I would not get a meal plan. Too many great restaurants on the island to limit yourself to eating at the same place every meal.

While it was a few years ago, I have vacationed at VH. It's lovely, tranquil and very upscale. Compared to what you'd get in other destinations (islands, etc) a great value for your dollar.

For my first trip, I too, had many questions. After prowling the message board for weeks and emailing a few of the regulars, I decided to take their advice and work with a travel agent who specialized on Belize. This was well worth it and really helped me think through my options. End of the day, the experience was exactly what I was looking for and the agent was key to making it all work out.

Barb, at Barb's Belize, was who we worked with and I couldn't give her higher marks. Give her a call!

pfarrell #230515 02/18/07 06:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Victoria House is absolutely beautiful and has all you are looking for. That said, it is on the expensive side and too far from town for my tastes. My personal preference has always been Banana Beach, but it may not have the "finish" you are looking for. The Palms is much closer to town and the two bedroom units are very nicely furnished and include a kitchen. They are on the beach, have a beautiful pool and are close to many restaurants.

If your travel agent isn't being helpful, ditch 'em! I don't use travel agents, but heartily second the recommendation of Barbara from Barb's Belize, based on all the information I've seen her share here on the board. She is by far one of the most helpful and knowledgable people I've encountered here.

Belize is NOT Mexico, and you will find several differences, some I would imagine you will like and some you probably won't. Stil, one of the best parts of vacation is having new experiences - go and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.