Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23019 06/14/00 11:52 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Wilbe in A/C late July for 10 days am thinking a couple of days at Caye Caulker might be an idea, any info on Lodging and transportation , Thanks in advance
Pete

#23020 06/14/00 02:23 PM
There are lots of economy places to stay at, but whatever you do DO NOT stay at the Tropical Star Motel. It could ruin your trip, nasty dirty rooms and stankidy water. We showered with our mouths TIGHTLY closed. Breakfast at Cindy's is superb, fresh baked bagels and cinnamon bread, and the best coffee we had on the whole trip.

#23021 06/14/00 03:29 PM
Pete,
Went to Caye Caulker twice on our trip. It is a lovely, quiet, sleepy little island. I fell in love with it, but we didn't stay the night. There are boats everywhere willing to take you. It shouldn't be a problem at all. As for the food. We ate lunch at this place called the Sand Box. We were in Belize for 10 days, and hands down, no disputes, this was the best food we had on our whole trip!!!! Are you familiar with conch? Very popular in the islands. Well their conch fritters are to die for!!!! They are a bit spicey, but out of this world. My husband is cajun and he flipped over them as well. I highly recommend this place. Our boys had grilled shrimp on a homemade roll for a sandwhich. Awesome.
Debbie

#23022 06/14/00 04:36 PM
The Caye Caulker Water Taxi boats and other water taxis will take you to Caulker from San Pedro or from Belize City.

As to places to stay, these are some of the places I recommend. Most of these places are in the moderate range -- US$30 to $60 (which would be the budget range on Ambergris):

Chocolate's -- just room, and it's a beauty, plus Chocolate is a nice fellow

Tree Tops -- clean as a pin rooms, and the "guard dogs" here (little terriers) are an extra plus

Anchorage -- nice place at the south end of the island

Shirley's -- another nice placea the south end of the island

Seaside Cabanas -- new thatch cabanas just to your left as you get off the water taxi

Trends Beachfront Guesthouse -- another nice newish place just to your right as you get off the boat, in front of The Sand Box.

Iguana Reef Inn: The "Ritz Carlton" of Caye Caulker -- very nice suites for US$70 to $90.

I agree that The Sandbox is the best restaurant on the island -- big portions and moderate prices. Other good places: Cindy's and Glenda's for breakfast, Syd's, Wish Willy's, YooHoo Deli for a quick sandwich.

The smell of the water (and it's not unique to Tropical Star) comes from sulphur in the water from shallow wells. Quite a few places have water that smells, but some are worse than others. In general you should drink bottled water on Caulker.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#23023 06/17/00 02:59 PM
See www.cayecaulker.org for more info...

#23024 06/20/00 01:51 PM
M
M
I highly recommend Tree Tops. Wish Willy is great for dinner, but don't be in a rush. Who is in a rush on Caulker anyway?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.