Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23116 06/18/00 11:38 PM
D
DanF Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Has anybody ever taken a bus from Cancun to Belize City. I fly into Cancum on a Saturday night at 11:40 PM. From there I need to find cheap transportation to Belize City so I can hop the boat to the Cayes. Any ideas on where I can catch a bus on Sunday morning and how much it will cost?

#23117 06/19/00 05:11 AM
We've done the Cancun to Belize bus thing a few times. There are 2 different classes of transportation, express and regular service. The express ticket will cost about $15, U.S. The express service will take you about 5 hours to get to Chetumal, where you will change busses and the Batty Brothers bus can take you into Belize. Busses from Cancun leave about every hour, but I'm not sure what their nighttime schedule is. ADO is the most popular bus line and they have a website (I don't know what it is though) However, the first bus from Chetumal into Belize doesn't leave until 10 a.m. That ticket will cost only a few dollars. Make sure you exchange enough money in Cancun for the return trip because the bus terminal i Cehtumal only takes pesos, and if the exchange is closed you're at the mercy of the gift shop. You can take a flight from Corozal to Ambergis Caye, and not have to go all the way into Belize City. It will be a fete to get all these different company schedules working though. You might end up with a "layover" in Chetumal or Corozal. If you end up stuck in Chetumal overnight, we stayed at the Ucum, for $10 a night and a $3 cab ride. Clean and quiet, its around the corner from the more expensive Holiday Inn, and down the street from the Mayan Museum. We ate from the food carts also, with no problems. The flight from Corozal was $24 U.S., and it shaves about 3 hours off your travel time. If you go all the way into Belize City you can take a water taxi to San Pedro from the marine terminal for about $12.50 U.S. Not being familiar with the downtown Belize City area I would recommend taking a cab for $4, from the bus terminal to the Marine terminal. If you ever get stuck in Belize City and are looking for budget accomodations, try the Seaside Guest House. Its run by the Friends (a Quaker Organization), you can stay in a dorm-style room for $8 a night or have a private room for $12 (I think) a night. All rooms share the baths.

[This message has been edited by silkpainter (edited 06-19-2000).]

#23118 06/19/00 10:43 AM
I've taken the bus from Playa del Carmen, not Cancun, but the drill is similar. Mexican buses are more comfortable than U.S. airplanes, with reserve seats, videos, and some have hostesses and serve drinks and snacks. The downside is that it takes pretty much the whole day to get to Belize. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you just spent most of a day in airports and on planes getting to Cancun, then have to overnight in Cancun and then spend the next day traveling by bus, it's something of a pain, especially if you're on a short vacation.

ADO's Web site is www.adogl.com.mex, or e-mail [email protected] or tel. in Mexico 525-133-2424.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
-and-
updating
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala
-and-
UpClose Central America

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#23119 06/19/00 12:21 PM
quite a bit of info on the bus route at: //www.AmbergrisCaye.com/help/

#23120 06/20/00 02:00 PM
M
M
I've done the ride as well. The buses are sweet. AC and all to Chetumal. We had quite a layover in Chetumal though. I ate some lettuce and the next morning was ugly. Anyway the total trip took us about 9 hours as I recall. We decided to fly back up to Cancun. The $90 each we spent we thought was worth a "tourist" day on the beach in Cancun rather than a day on the bus. Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.