Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#231844 03/08/07 11:59 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
I would like to wish all our brilliant women on this board a "Happy International Women's Day". The theme for this year's very important day is "Improving cervical cancer prevention: making every girl count". Here is hoping that everyone will have a wonderful day!!

Thank you Marty smile

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
OK Marty, since you opened that can of worms, where do the ladies on this board stand as to the Governor of Texas "requiring" females (9-26) to receive the Human Papillomavirus Caccine? (Just curious, seeking opinions not attacks)

I think it is absolutely a good idea. I am not sure one should be "required" to get a shot but it is a good idea. You are required to get other shots as a child to enter school I thought in some areas and this one only helps and prevents something very serious and common.

while i am not informed enough to make a judgement call on this, R, i am a fan of long-term studies before making a vaccine required. in theory, assuming there are no side effects conditions, i am all for it. i read this recently, and passing it on. it is not necessarily my opinion, but someone else's:

I don't think it's a bad idea if this vaccine does all of what they say - but that being said I think it's far too early to be requiring something that we don't fully know all the side effects of. This vaccine has only been out for less than a year and there are no long term follow up studies on the potential side effects. So to require it could have devastating effects if there is something that they haven't found yet. They didn't know that birth control pills caused certain side effects for years. They didn't know that Wellbutrin caused seizure disorders in some people for over 5 years. ANd to force a large portion of the population to be Guinea Pigs for potential future side effects is opening themselves up to a huge mess in the future if something happens.

Remember the Thalidomide babies of the 50's and 60's because they didn't know the side effects and gave it to pregnant women and then found out it caused horrible birth defects. They need more long term research.

Living in Texas, I absolutely agree with the Governor, on this one.

Dare To Deviate
anyone 26 and under I highly recommend getting this, look into it for your own safety and health. It is a huge topic right now on the radios in the morning and been discusing it with my close friend who is a doctor. It does not protect against all strands of HPV, however it does protect against many of the serious strands. Further, HPV can still be spread with the use of condoms and therefore I find it very important to do what you can to protect against the virus. The virus you have for life once you get it. It may or may not affect you, but it is with you forever. It is very important people learn about what this is, how it is caused/spread, and how many people have it. Get Vaccinated.

Last edited by Kra-Z-K-VIKINGS; 03/08/07 02:53 PM.
I think it's a good idea, but I still think more research needs to be done. What are the side-effects of this vaccine? It wouldn't hurt to do more research while letting people make up their own minds and not be "required" to take the shot, but if we find out in later studies that it is safe w/ little or no side effects, then yes, I'd say do it.

Take the road less traveled
All vaccines have side effects, usually worse than the disease itself. They are just huge money makers for big Pharm. Have NOTHING to do with prevention of disease. Just like "modern" allopathic (regular) medicine has NOTHING to do with CURE of disease (no $$ in cure). Watch the amount of autism cases go up in Belize now that we are sending them our old vaccines with thimerisol (mercury) preservatives that have been banned in this country (and pharm can no longer be sued for vaccine related cases thanks to a little insert into the "patriot" act.) Don't get me started on this topic....
If anyone is interested in details email me. I won't get into it more here but would be glad to discuss with anyone SERIOUS about their health. My "other" passion...

Since you do not catch cervical cancer from someone else and you can not pass it on, the law seems a bit intrusive to me. Another government body sticking it's nose where it does not belong. I do not know if the vacine is good or not, just do not like the big brother approach.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.