Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
At the risk of sounding like I haven't thought this through (I haven't as it's late and I'm not liking Daylight Savings Time right about now) I'm going to offer one possible way to help Holy Cross raise the much needed funds for fill.

I'm guessing that there are folks who read this board who are in a position where they might own lodging on the island but who are perhaps not in a financial position to donate cash. What if folks who own condos/homes/accommodations on the island would be willing to donate the use of their "home" for 1-2 weeks to someone with impeccable references, the $1,000 plus that would have normally been spent on lodging, could be donated for the sole purpose of purchasing fill. This could be done in the low season, and if it were limited to a small number of openings available, then it wouldn't hurt the local businesses that rely on tourist for their livelihood.

My husband and I are fortunate that I have a frequent flyer ticket and we get to return for our third visit in 4 years. We already have reservations, but I would have jumped at the chance to stay somewhere for the price of "fill".

The opportunity to get an education is a gift that unfortunately most of the children at least here in the US take for granted. Our blessings to Francis, Vernon and all who have worked tirelessly on making Holy Cross a reality.

I would also like to encourage all who have contacts with companies, schools or any organization that uses ink jet cartridges to start a campaign to collect them and then turn them in for $$$. Our two very small congregations (65 on a good Sunday) just sent Francis $200 from just over 100 used cartridges. We use empties4cash.com, but there are others on-line as well. They furnish the collection boxes and have pre-paid postage on them. Payment is very prompt.

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
You have the right philosophy, wannabethere! We all need to adopt this and focus on the solutions, not the problems.

What other great ideas are out there????

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
S
S
from Francis Wilson: [email protected]
"Who is IMMISSING and how do I contact him?? He says he has repeatedly asked for info about Holy Cross but hasn't gotten any. I find that incredible. I send out tons of info to anyone who wants it. Please get us in touch with each other. Thanks!!"

S
S
From Francis Wilson:
Dear Ernie, I was surprised to read your post on the message board indicating that information on Holy Cross had been unavailable to you. I have sent you every School Update since August, personally invited you to visit the School and, I thought, answered each question you asked. To my knowledge the only info I haven't sent you relates to Vernon - his ministery at the Prison and his work at the School. I am very sorry but just haven't had the time to compile this and certainly didn't realize it was an urgent request.

Please let me know what additional information you need and I will make certain it gets to you immediately. If you are still in San Pedro, please call me (610-3421) and please come visit Holy Cross. We remain most appreciative of the generous $5,000 donation the San Pedro Social Club made to the School. I would certainly like to show you how your organization's money was spent.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Many thanks and blessings, Francis

Originally Posted by Jesse
From Francis Wilson:
I thought, answered each question you asked. To my knowledge the only info I haven't sent you relates to Vernon - his ministery at the Prison and his work at the School. I am very sorry but just haven't had the time to compile this and certainly didn't realize it was an urgent request.

Just a misunderstanding. The SPSC plans to donate more money to the HC school. We're just working on the last of the logistics. Thx

T
T
maybe those of you who are concerned about the trash situation should get off your high horse and go over to hc school and pick up some of the litter. every little bit helps and if enuf of you donate a little time the trash will dissapear! complaining about it isn't going to get the results you desire.
probably a better thing to do is to forget about the asthetics of the place and donate your time as a classroom aide and sit with these wonderful kids and help them with their reading and math skills. your attention is something that each child would cherish more than you can imagine.

B
B
Smitty, No high horse here. Holy Cross has gotten a few contributions from me and my family. As an educator I know all about what personal attention can do for children, there's nothing better. I also know the effect that a clean, well tended environment can have on a classroom. I don't care what anyone says, discarding bags of trash in the water surrounding HC is not "land-filling" it's pollution. Look, it's a great school, a huge benefit to the island. I just don't agree with the trash issue, that's all.......and next time I pass by I'll bring in my contribution for proper fill.

T
T
big mike,
point taken. i,too, am an educator and have spent some (not enuf) time at the school as an aide. that's why i continue to encourage others to spend some time with the kids.
francis and vernon have many tough decisions to make concerning how to spend the valuable donations. giving a couple hundred bucks puts the unneeded pressure on them on how to allocate the money, why not just show up with a few (many) garbage bags and proceed to do a little litter patroll? that way it's out of their hands (they now have to decide where to put the reclaimed litter) and they can spend the money on educational needs.
no offense to anyone, but does anyone think the kids notice the litter that surrounds their school, or will they notice a kind person sitting in their classroom willing to help them with their reading or math.
again, for those focusing on the asthetics, maybe they should show up at pedro's on friday night and organize a litter patrol for the following saturday morning. that way they can work off their jagermeister hangover and feel good about it at the same time.
lol (lots of love), smitty

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.