Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
I am planning to sail to Beliz from Galveston departing about April one. Never made the trip before, does anyone have some tips for us....passing cozumel? Best anchorages? etc? a Thanks, Tim 303 594 7660

B
B
Does departure have to be in April? I would recomend the other end of hurricane season. Start in late October. The weather will be just about perfect that time of year. There are a few books out there to guide you through this journey. Lots of shallows through Mexico. Watch the charts.

C
C
The last 3 Hurricanes to hit Belize were all in October, the water temp brings them here late in the season, I would pick April over Oct. Make sure your maps are current, some friends ran on a sandbar near Isla Mujueras last year as weather has a way of moving things around faster than buoys or maps can be changed.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
W
OP Offline
W
I am kind of stuck with April as another boat is heading that way from out marina and have other obligations, too. What are the best anchorages? Any suggestions for crossing the gulf? I am a novice at this so would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Plus, what do we do when we are there (here?)

F
F
Trip should be good. You can get inside the reef at Isla Mujeres to sleep and rest up.

Tulum is probably the next stop inside the reef. If you are sailing you are going to need your engine between Isla Mujeres and off Cozumel, the current can be strong. I've clocked it some times at 9 mph.

There are other spots but depends on your draft. Behind the ATOLLs is the best place to get some sleep. Chinchorra and Turneffe.

Falconview
permission to stowaway!
i will be in galveston for featherfest (plug) on april one!

W
OP Offline
W
Well....we are working hard to get the boat that was ready to go really ready to go! I hear horror stories about wrecks on reefs...how is the entrance to Amebergas Cay? Is Beliz City really as bad as they say it is? I like to see authentic Beliz, not USA living in Beliz....Thanks, Tim

W
OP Offline
W
update....we are getting closer to departure...still wanting to hear more about sailing beliz, entrance suggestions, any recomended charts or info...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.