Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232811 03/19/07 10:40 AM
S
OP Offline
S

WOW .they do need alot of money. never have seen it done so efficiently,lots of good things going on here .Will drop off onther check when down in April.We got to Help the kids live there dream !!! knowledge is addicting.

Last edited by captjeff; 03/21/07 09:48 AM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
You are a sweetheart Capt Jeff.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Thanks taco ,but just tell all the cute women I am a sweetheart ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
You got it Capt.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

HOLY CROSS ANGLICAN SCHOOL - UPDATE

Greetings from Holy Cross Anglican School where 160+ students welcomed the start of a two week Easter vacation on Friday, March 30. I must admit the teachers and I were pretty excited too - smile. The twelve weeks since the end of Christmas vacation have been filled to overflowing with school work, art projects, second term exams, Chapel services, volunteer groups, new songs, parent meetings, special events, numerous visitors, buildings under construction, staff additions, training sessions and countless other activities. WOW - we all need a little vacation!!

Each week at Holy Cross seems to be busier than the last - no doubt related to the fact that time evaporates in the tropical sun! So much to teach, so much to learn, so much to do�its hard to believe this all got started just eight short months ago. But as each day has rushed by, we have consistently focused (with God's help and yours!) on building a firm foundation of educational excellence for the economically disadvantaged children of San Pedro. We're not just building a school, we're building brighter tomorrows - day by day, child by child, wonderful moment after wonderful moment!

And, we just love to share our wonderful moments��

February 1st - the official Holy Cross site (www.holycrossbelize.org) joined the world wide web!!!!!!! Our communications hero, Jim Neff from St. Andrew's in Newport News, Virginia produced (and maintains) this invaluable resource. Please visit the site often and recommend it to your friends. Its filled with fabulous photos, updates, volunteer information and mission team reports. Many thanks to Jim for his patience and persistence - it was truly a labor of love! And, thanks to his wife Bunny for sharing him with Holy Cross!!

February 5th- the first volunteer mission team arrived at Holy Cross - yea! Under the capable leadership of John Willard, an energetic group of folks from St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Durham, North Carolina contributed their time, talents and treasure to students, staff and the local community. By Friday the 9th they had completed our sixth classroom(!!) and watched (with tears in their eyes) as students carried their desks over the brand new threshold. Our huge Standard I class was finally able to divide into two more manageable and teachable groups - teachers Miss Laura and Miss Diane were overjoyed!!

February 12th - the second volunteer mission team arrived, once again from St. Luke's in Durham - same leader but a totally different group of folks. They began work on the school Chapel/cafeteria and made great progress. They also, like the group before, spent hours helping in the classrooms, assisting with breakfast, snack and lunch and washing tons of dishes!

February 14 - an incredible Valentine's Day party complete with an aerial show by visiting skydivers, donated Valentine cards and candy for each student, a sack race and an inflatable trampoline fun house. For many of out students it was a first ever Valentine's celebration - they were thrilled and delighted! Many thanks to party organizers Laurie and Paul, all those who gave donations and to Cullen for renting the fun house.

February 16th - students from Holy Cross joined the 'March Against Child Abuse'. Activities of the day focused on helping children understand what abuse is and what to do if they are being abused. The most exciting event for the children was a parade through downtown San Pedro. They carried handmade signs, chanted 'no more abuse' and brought their message to the adults of the community.

February 21st - Ash Wednesday services were held in our almost completed School Chapel. Many thanks to Fr. Lloyd Neal from the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Belize City for leading our students and staff in worship as we observed the beginning of the Lenten Season.

February 24th - folks from Christ Church in Easton, Maryland arrived at Holy Cross with school supplies, willing hands and open hearts! They tackled the new school kitchen, continued construction on the Chapel/cafeteria and started sanding 100 chairs and 10 tables. (The beautiful wooden chairs and tables were generously donated to the School by Yalbac Lumber!!) Many in the group were happily near or over retirement age (group leader Don Ayres is 75 - unbelievable!) but they worked and occasionally acted like teenagers - it must be the tropical breezes and the infectious smiles of our little ones!

February 25th - Family Sunday Service was held in our 'even more completed since Wednesday thanks to the efforts of our volunteer team from Christ Church, Easton Maryland,' School Chapel. Fr. Neal once again generously shared his time and talents.

February 26th - teacher Miss Elsy joined the staff at Holy Cross! She is being paid from school funds as we await approval from the Ministry of Education to put her on the Government payroll. Red tape is alive and well in Belize. Based on school enrollment we are entitled to 7 teachers but currently only have 5 on the official payroll - ugh! Miss Elsy is assisting in the Special Education classroom and with Infant II.

February 27th - master teacher, Miss Rosita Miguel, from Belize City spent the day at Holy Cross and provided 'hands on' training for our teachers. Only one of our teacher has post secondary school training specifically in education so we need lots of guidance!

February 28th - pizza day at Holy Cross courtesy of the 92 visiting sky divers! Coordinator Richard Grimm and his family handed out mouth watering slices of pizza to students and staff. In addition, the skydivers donated $1,000 in school supplies - wow!

And so February came to a close at Holy Cross Anglican School. As our teachers were busy with lesson plans, classroom projects and the task of educating and our students were about the important work of learning� friends and volunteers from San Pedro and the world beyond made many of our 'memorable moments' possible. Thank you one and all - smile! Photos of these special moments are available on the School web site:

www.holycrossbelize.org

And with God's help the March Update will be finished and sent to you SOON (hopefully before April is over - smile). Please remember that all donations of time, talents and treasure are greatly appreciated. If you would like to send a contribution, please make your check payable to "Holy Cross Anglican School" and send to:

Holy Cross Anglican School
Mrs. Francis Wilson, Local Manager
Anglican Diocese of Belize
PO Box 535
Belize City, Belize

You guys are great and doing possibly the most important work on the Caye. If things keep up I may have to enrole in this school myself. The curiculum looks awesome.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
Holy Cross Anglican School was recently blessed with a Volunteer Team from St. Peter's by the Sea in Swansboro, North Carolina. Many thanks to group leader, Mike Larson and to his wife Margaret for sharing their "Holy Cross Story". Blessings, Francis

March 2 - 11, 2007
This year my husband Mike led a mission team to Belize for the first time. We had always been part of St. Luke's team (John Willard) from Durham, but we had moved to the coast and a new parish, St. Peter's, in Swansboro. It was certainly different being in charge and we have a new appreciation for what John and Jean go through every year.
Before leaving Belize City on Sunday, we attended church at St. John's Cathedral. The church service was inspiring and I felt a sense of renewal. Every year that we have come to Belize, we have attended St. John's Sunday service. When we hold hands and sing "Our Father", I always get tears in my eyes and feel like I am home.
We rode in the water taxi to San Pedro and it was pleasing when one of our team members remarked on the beauty of the water, since those were my thoughts the first time I traveled to Cay Caulker. An hour and a half later as we pulled in beside The Tackle Box, Francis and Vernon stood on the pier waiting for us. Everyone excitedly got off the boat, happy at long last to have arrived at our destination. We checked into our rooms and met back at The Tackle Box for lunch and an informal meeting with Francis.
As the week progressed, we fell into a pattern of how we spent our days. Those of us who were early risers met for coffee on the middle deck of Ruby's; when everyone was present, our priest held a short morning prayer and we would start on our 25 minute walk to the school. We ate delicious breakfasts and lunches fixed by Rosalea and her helper. We sanded chairs, washed dishes, painted murals (drawn by two artists of our group), installed electrical outlets, installed water pipes, put up hurricane strips, put up drywall, read to the children, took lots of pictures and taught the kids the importance of brushing their teeth and how to brush, poured juice and handed out lunch plates, and washed more dishes. In the afternoon we trudged back to our rooms, showered, met for compline, ate dinner, walked back to our rooms, talked and then most of us were ready to fall asleep. I wish I could relay every person's individual experiences because I know we all had our "aha" moments. These kids have so little, but they always come to school cleanly scrubbed, with clean uniforms, bright smiles and eager expressions. One of our team members, Rose, pretty much said it for us all. "�the children blessed me. We went there to bless them and the reverse happened. I want to go back." Speaking of one child in particular, Yosselin, she said, "�she stole my heart. They all did - all 175 of them. I am missing those tender hugs and kisses and smiles!!"
We look forward to next year.

This brought tears to my eyes.
For those of us that are not blessed to be able to be able to come down with a group...... what can those of us do that want to do something? I loved having the kids jump on the back of our golf cart...... and chatting with us.

Would anyone know if the school would like to have a 'pen pal' elementary school? Where they could write to each other and learn about other places? My next door neighbor is an elementary school principle and we have been discussing this.

I also have a huge bundle of children's clothes..... i'd rather they come down there than distributed here. I think they would be more appreciated there.

Thanks!!!

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
OESGwynedd

I sent you some information.

smile smile smile

E
E
Laurie, you are doing more to promote the school than you will ever know. Thank you.

have the remaining elected san pedro social club board members and/or officers given and/or appropriated any more remaining funds to this cause?

Holy Cross Anglican School is pleased to announce the formation of an Advisory Board. A cross section of community leaders, business owners and parents has been selected to serve on the Board.

It is critical that the school receives information and feedback from the community in order for the school to succeed in its mission to provide quality education for our children. The school believes that a cross section of parents and leaders from the local community will be the best source of that information.

The Board will meet monthly. They will meet several times over the next few weeks to get organized. Between meetings, the board members will be the eyes and ears of the school to make sure that we are addressing the educational needs of the community. The Board members will engage in honest discussions and present new ideas so we can move forward and make a greater difference in this community.

The Board's mission will be to provide advice and direction to the school. They will work with the Ministry of Education of Belize, the Anglican Education Board and the school to address the curriculum of the school, how to use the funds raised to achieve the best results for the school, how to best integrate the school into the community and help provide a vision of where the school should head as it provides education for our children.

The focus of the Board will be on how to provide the best education available. We will discuss all constructive comments about the school brought to us and embrace any new ideas that lead us towards accomplishing our mission.

Cullen Walker has agreed to serve as chairman the Board. He can be reached by phone at 501-622-8201 or by email at [email protected].

S
OP Offline
S
This is an excellent move!

D
D
Who is on the Board? Thanks in advance.

K
K
The board is being formed and has had one meeting. Several people expressed they willingness to serve but have been unable to attend a meeting. Once we have settled the membership, we will publish the names.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.