Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#232629 03/16/07 11:49 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
'Special Meetings'
I would like to open this topic up to collect highly regarded opinions from the islands esteemed Chatters on Government having 'special meetings'.
Those special meetings you hear about when putting in application for a permit of some sort, and when you ask the government servant how long the application/permit process will take, they respond, "�.but if you would like to pay for a special meeting, you can get it much quicker."
Has this happened to you?
Have you heard of this efficiency technique?
What thoughts have you on this subject?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #232641 03/16/07 02:17 PM
S
S
And the "regular" meetings are very far apart... GOTCHA!

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Corruption undermines good government, and It seems this is Special Meeting syndrome is spreading.
The San Pedro Trade Licenses Clerk quickly, after he tells you it will take 3 months to get approved, offers to let you pay for a special meeting, The Liquor Board offers special meeting for any kind of problem you might have, Housing and Planning is very efficient, they don't even have to be in town for the special meeting, Traffic is supposed to meet monthly for permits but after three months if you haven't figured it out by yourself they will repeat the offer to get together especially for your permit.
This is way out of control, but who could really enforce something like this and prosecute this wrong doing. Most people in government see this as normal and you can even pay with a check and get a receipt. They are unafraid/unaware of possible prosecution. The worst I've heard of is the police, after you apply for a police record (necessary for the annual renewal of a tour guide lic.) the front desk officer wants $25. us to get it next week he calls it a special meeting fee and only accepts cash.
Mexico is suffering from how bad the murdida has become, Mexicans just accept it as a way of life. It equates to ineffective government and destroys the system over time like rot. I hear a lot of pride of not being like Mexico from Belizeans but this will quickly make Belize just as bad.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #232982 03/21/07 09:45 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not getting much response from this
Boring topic?

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #232990 03/21/07 10:08 AM
I have heard a few people having to keep going back on license issue.

(Will not even mention immigration in all of this lol)

Last edited by tacogirl; 03/21/07 10:08 AM.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I wouldn't say that it is a boring topic for "the islands esteemed Chatters"
it is more like a hot political topic.

S
S
Woah, $100BZ for a special meeting. I can see the foundation of Belizean society crumbling! I love grease, it makes things move along quick and smooth. ALL GOVERNMENTS grease their weels. It's good business. I would rather pay $100 and get a quick meeting than "I did it the right way" (goodie!!) and wait for three months when the Commissioner is available. They group these special meetings together, so you'll find a few people there. I would rather see corruption up front in yuor face so you know the game than open to only those on the top, like in most first world countries.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline

I wouldn't imagine a little payola to a government official will ever be stopped but as a matter of routine and conducted as a scam right in the office.
I've heard that if you pay,for example, 500 for a special meeting
You can pay with a check and get a receipt. The money is then deposited into which ever government office your applying to and the board members will in turn be paid that amount with a government check divided by how ever many people are on the board.
could this really be true?

Last edited by elbert; 03/21/07 12:15 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #233019 03/21/07 01:18 PM
S
S
People that sit on these board are paid to conduct such meetings at regular times. If they need to set aside time from work and family, I would agree they should be paid additional funds. $100BZ divided between a board is a stipend and probably enough to buy a few beers.

I wish I could be paid to be on the board! wink

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
D
D
I just wish they could be less subtle and come out and say how much is needed. I've only been familiar with "campaign contributions" not "special meetings". After all doesn't campaign season run forever.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.