Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23307 06/27/00 12:01 PM
OP Offline
I post this question only because I heard a rumour yesterday. (mind you it was only a rumour and there is no shortage of those here on the island....LOL)
Rumour has it that they are thinking of doing away with the vendors in San Pedro. Mainly the carvers and jewelry sellers....ok, I'll say it...the Rasta people. I would like to know what previous visitors think about this and what experiences you have had with these people.
Quite frankly, I myself think they add something different, some charm to the San Pedro experience. I know my first visit to belize, I found them quite intriguing and had long conversations with several of the Rasta people. There lifestyle is interesting and not something you will find everywhere. I enjoy learning new things and they were also really knowledgeable about Belize and a lot of it's history and culture. I say...let them stay!
This is not to say that you won't find a few select ones that pose as true Rastas....but aren't and may be out to scam you. But on the whole...I have not found that the Rasta community here has been a threat in any way.
I don't believe the whole should be punished for the deeds of a few. Please give me some feedback if you have been in San Pedro recently.
Thanks!

Belize World! http://www.geocities.com/sanshakr.geo

I don't like the idea at all...

S
S
Well, here we are with some more misinformation! The town board is working on a plan to create a specific area for an outdoor marketplace where all the street vendors will be relocated. Then the shops will no longer be frustrated with the vendors blocking their stores, and everyone will know where to go to shop the vendors.

I have just returned from San Pedro, I think the town board has the right idea, creating and outdoor marketplace for the vendors.
They were interesting to say the least, but way too many wood carves all over the streets and beach. I can see the problem they create for the shop owners.

Dare To Deviate
OP Offline
Well now that would be a good idea! A market place would be a nice addition to San Pedro!
I'm glad to know I can post a rumour and get the real scoop on what is really happening...LOL It takes to long to sift thru the B.S. by yourself. Thanks Jesse for giving us the real heads up. [Linked Image]

BELIZE WORLD! http://www.geocities.com/sanshakr.com

I would love the opportunity to browse an outdoor market. Keep us posted!

O
O
To do away with the Vendors will be a mistake. Some of the best food we have eaten
on the Island has been purchased from
the local vendors.
I would put this mistake right up there beside the allowing all the motorized vehicles on the Island and then paving the
roads for them. Bummer!!!!

The Oldgator's Homepage
http://oldgatorsnest.addr.com
S
S
Oldgator: There's a big difference between getting rid of the street vendors and giving them a place to have a market.

OP Offline
Maralyn,
No matter where you come from.....be proud of your roots! I miss you!.....and the tourist are always missing you! Albert has a very special message and a unique way of delivering it. Rest assured you can sleep well at night because you have a clear conscience!
I think the carving guys are the real issue....and it would be nice if we had a market. I'm not opposed to that idea....but I'm a shop-aholic....LOL
It would be nice to have an area where all Belize arts and crafts could be purchased.
As far as Albert's music is concerned and your situation....I think it was unfair.
I'm going out on a limb here.....and I'm sure I will hear some flack about it, but I believe in being fair and what is good for one, should be good for all.
I personally think Rasta Pasta was the most unique place on the island....where folks could just chill out and enjoy being in the caribbean......not to mention the great food!
I miss your english muffins! [Linked Image]
Take care....and try not to take all this to heart. I know it's hard when you've invested so much of yourself and your money. Just don't let it stop you from doing more great things. Your reward will come....just doesn't always come when we think it should.
Love ya and miss ya!
Tammy

BELIZE WORLD! www.geocities.com/sanshakr.geo

Sandshaker,
We had heard about Rasta Pasta before we left for Belize, and it was on our "MUST VISIT" list. We were sorely disappointed that it wasn't there when we arrived. My husband and I are in our mid-forties and were in the era of Bob Marley and the Whalers, and love Reggae music. As I said, we were looking very forward to it. As for the Rastas in San Pedro. We are well aware that that smoking weed is part of their culture, and as long as they don't "push" it on us or our children (which they did NOT)I have no problem with them. They respected us, and we respected them. I found them all charming. One younger one made friends with my son and said hello to us everytime he saw us. He explained his culture to us in a very articulate and respectful way, and I saw it as an education for my children. (They have seen old videos)Just becuase we don't agree with some of it, doesn't mean we can't respect it. A couple of the older Rastas taught me and my husband how to punta dance, and were delighted to do it. We had a wonderful time. AS for the vendors, I agree that some of their wares are very nice, and I would hate to see them run out of town. I agree that a market place would be very nice. I myself would have loved to purchase one of the large carved wooden fish, but we were on a budget, and had other priorities. The wood carvers tended to be a bit more zealous in their sales tactics, but you just say "no" and they go on. The food vendors were also wonderful. Some of these things were home made and really let us taste the true local foods. This was part of the fun. Debbie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.