Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#233540 03/26/07 05:27 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Who Would Believe a Chocolate Bar Saved a Mayan Community?

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:58 AM CDT

(Family Features) - If you were to ask 3-year-old Griselda what it is she loves to eat, she might flash you a shy smile and point to one of the chocolate truffles of her native country, Belize. Beyond her own burgeoning sweet tooth, however, it might be safe to say that Griselda has little understanding of just how important a piece of chocolate is to the Mayan community she was born into.

But for her father Justino Peck and the Toledo Cocoa Growers Association (the farming cooperative in southern Belize for which he serves as chairman), chocolate is more than just a recreational treat - it's their livelihood.
Today, this livelihood is protected. Organically grown produce that protects the environment through sustainable agriculture practices is a critical part of helping farmers in developing countries to lift themselves out of poverty. Establishing equitable standards, dealing directly with farmers, paying them a guaranteed minimum price in cash for their crops and equipping them with the resources and training needed to compete in the global marketplace are all essential components of a healthy economic exchange.

An Inspirational Retreat

In 1994, organic chocolate manufacturer Green & Black's added Maya Gold to its line of chocolates after founders Craig Sams and Jo Fairley fell in love with a Mayan drink while on vacation in Belize. "Kukuh," the Mayan drink, had been consumed by native cocoa farmers for generations. The company had already begun with the belief that sourcing organic ingredients for its products would be beneficial to taste. The company also believed that farmers who grew their crops organically were more interested in the quality and taste of what they grew, and were therefore more personally invested in their crops.

A Disturbing Discovery

The most important aspect of their new product was the agreement Sams and Fairley entered into with the local farmers while on their trip. After learning that a large chocolate corporation had promised the farmers lucrative prices to plant hybrid cocoa trees rather than indigenous varieties familiar to them - eventually causing the community to collapse in economic ruin - Green & Black's offered to trade directly with the farmers. The company agreed a price with the growers that made it profitable for them to grow cocoa and, signed a rolling contract for 5 years minimum with a cash prepayment to ensure that their cooperative could reimburse members 'on the spot.' This equitable deal meant that Maya Gold earned the first Fairtrade Mark ever to be awarded in the United Kingdom.

Every batch of Maya Gold chocolate has been made with organically grown cocoa sourced directly from the farmers under this agreement. In addition, Green & Black's has helped build the Toledo Cocoa Growers Association from 170 farmers to 1000 farmers by providing basic business training. The farmers also regularly received samples of "their" chocolate, so their pride in its quality is reflected in the quality of their cocoa beans.

Lasting Impressions of Growing Organic Cocoa

Since then, Mayan growers have been affected in many ways. Growing organically allows the farmers to avoid the use of pesticides and fertilizers that ruin surrounding environments. Because of their sustainable farming practices, Peck explains, "We still have our trees, we have clean creeks, we have all the birds and animals with us for our grandchildren to see."

Environmental benefits of organically grown cocoa include increased migratory bird habitat, protection of the scarlet macaw's breeding grounds - the mangrove plants and reef where tarpon and bonefish breed, benefiting sport and food fishermen. Less herbicide pollution also means cleaner rivers and fewer skin diseases.

"Because of cocoa, people are able to buy clothing, medical supplies, school books and uniforms," Peck says. "A lot of children didn't go to school before, but now they can." It's a fact that Peck is undoubtedly grateful for, especially today as he watches his youngest, Griselda, playing in a sunny spot outside their thatched house.

Great Tasting Chocolate

Where cocoa is grown and how it is processed affects its taste. Green & Black's uses the finest Trinitario and Criollo cocoa beans, grown organically in places like Belize, which give the chocolate its unmistakable intensity. Careful oversight of the production process from bean to bar ensures the best quality.

Cocoa pods are harvested at their peak of ripeness.
Farmers then remove the beans from the pods and cover them with banana leaves for about five days. During this time the beans ferment and develop their pronounced chocolate flavor.
After the beans are fermented, they are laid out to dry in the sun, continuing the flavor development process.
The beans are then shipped to the factory where they will become chocolate.
At the factory, the beans are checked again for quality before entering the production line. They are then roasted to develop their rich flavor.
The beans are then ground to a smooth paste, and real Bourbon vanilla and organic sugar are added to the mixture.
This paste, or cocoa mass, is then "conched" or stirred for 18 hours to develop its intense flavor.
Before pouring the chocolate mixture into molds to set, it has to be tempered. Well tempered chocolate will have a lovely shine and a good "snap" - the sound a quality chocolate bar makes when you break it.
Maya Gold and the Toledo Cocoa Growers Association

The Maya Gold Project officially started in 2003 with the aim of turning the Toledo Cocoa Growers Association into a viable, self-sustaining organization. This group operates in the poorest part of Belize and the program aims to help people in the local community improve their quality of life.

To achieve this, the organization must sell at least 200 tons of fair trade cocoa per year. Green & Black's has committed to buying at least that amount for their Maya Gold and other organic chocolate bars. Thanks to their commitment, there is now a palpable feeling of excitement and enthusiasm over the project and cocoa as a crop.

Better Quality of Life

Green & Black's efforts in the Toledo District in Belize have been critical in supporting growth and helping this area recover from economic devastation. The company has helped provide:
A projected increased input into the local economy from $40,000 to over $400,000.
Growth in TCGA membership over the last year from 170 to 1000 farmers.
Return of disillusioned farmers to farms that they're now renovating.
Money to fund community development projects that are decided upon within the group.
Rapidly increasing yields via nearly 1 million trees planted since 2004 (more than 2,000 acres).
Continued technical advice and support from Green & Black's.
For more information about Green & Black's organic chocolate and its fair trade practices, visit www.greenandblacks.com/us.

Marty #233555 03/26/07 08:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
When I was in England I bought some Maya Gold and other Green & Black's chocolate for a Belizean resident, who said it wasn't available here. Is that really true - chocolate made from Belizean products can't be bought in Belize, when the rubbish churned out by Hershey's is everywhere? Seems a bit odd, as well as a shame - before I'd even heard of Belize I regarded G&B's as the best chocolate available.

#233566 03/27/07 07:32 AM
There is a fairly new lodge (opened in December 2006) in the Toledo district which offers as one of its tours a trip to a local house where a Mayan woman shows tourists how chocolate is made from cacao. They have several other unique tours as well. We have done some packages with this place and they recently opened up about 100 acres of their land and the locals are being taught how to do organic gardening on this land. Neat place. www.cottontreelodge.com

Change your Latitude
shuffles #233576 03/27/07 09:20 AM
G
G
Chocolate is one of the basic food groups, best consumed on a daily basis. That said, anyone coming down here that wants me to eat some chocolate they bring down (Hersheys kisses, little
Dove chocs, or any others, not picky), I will be happy to oblige.

govikes #233648 03/28/07 09:03 AM
govikes - Milk or Dark?

There is supposed to be a "chocolate festival" in Toledo this May. Contact the Lodge at Big Falls for info.

Barbara K #233670 03/28/07 10:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
So is it true that Green & Black's chocolate can't be bought in Belize?

Barbara K #233673 03/28/07 10:54 AM
chocolate is my passion. some do fine wines, i do chocolate.

i have never seen true central american chocolate made as 'milk chocolate". we watched the bribri people make it in costa rica. (ever had the flesh of the pod right off the tree? mmmmm.) we bought it at their home, and at a few local places there, hand rolled. we also have tried the hot chocolate drink in Mexico. both are dark, grainy, and slightly bitter. they add coarse sugar and spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg. it is an aquired taste, different. dark choc with ginger (a US brand, chocolove makes it well)is my fave, a virtual party in my mouth. a brand called Frey makes dark with lemon zest and black pepper: it's incredible.

i bought the g&b's 'mayan gold' yesterday, target carries it, and some markets. it runs about $1.50 more than lindt ($3.49/bar). it was VERY good. i mean VERY EXCELLENTLY good. smile

i read some articles on what they are doing in bz with the mayan farmers actually profitting. on one hand i was quite pleased, on the other i worried about future clearing of precious tropical forests for cultivation. one article noted the supply is far less than the demand. it mentioned 30 acres near (in?) guatemala being cleared, and newer farms starting. any thoughts?

sweetjane #233702 03/28/07 01:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
In the UK G&B's is about the same price as Lindt. It's all to do with import quantities, pricing strategies, etc. I think it's significantly better than Lindt, and much better than any other brands I've ever had.

#233731 03/28/07 06:08 PM
Show me no imitation
You got to be the real thing
I take more than a mouthful
More than a mouthful momma.
Don't it taste like chocolate?

http://www.thejbros.com/music/11-Chocolate.mp3

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Otteralum #233733 03/28/07 06:49 PM
govikes...your request has been added to my list....will be down june 13 - june 27...see ya soon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.