Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#234121 04/01/07 06:00 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I am very interested in sponsoring a student who cannot afford the school fees/books/uniforms either on the grammar school or high school level on Ambergris Caye. I met several young children on a recent visit who are too poor to attend school. Does anyone know of such a scholarship fund or sponsorship program at any of the schools? Also, I cannot seem to find an email address for the San Pedro Roman Catholic School, though I did find one for St. Peters. Does anyone have that? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi Libbymim,

I'd like to offer a suggestion for yet another school to consider when offering a donation. Holy Cross Anglican School just opened last fall and are providing an education to many kids who would, or who have, gone without. I don't believe that they're set-up for sponsoring a child, but would welcome any kind of donation. Just do a search above for "Holy Cross" and you should get lots of hits. It's truly a remarkable story how a dream became a reality.

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
S
S
My wife and I moved to San Pedro a year and a half ago. Holy Cross School was just a dream. Francis Wilson started construction on August 1 and in 30 days had 3 class rooms up and running. The school now offers free education, breakfast, snack and lunch to over 160 students and they expect 300 students by next fall. Having volunteered with the school for the last few months, I can think of no better investment of your money to help create a future for these young students. Whether it is a specific scholarship or a general donation, Francis will put the money to good work.

Contact her at:
[email protected]

"Just another Day in Paradise"
S
spl Offline
S
or if you dream of sponsoring an individual child that is wonderful! Do what you feel is best. I think Holy Cross just got a $13 K BZ donation from a wonderful group along with many, many individual donations.

Sooo many kids, so many needs. Your heart will guide you. Here's a thought, host a "pizza party" for family and friends, charge a small fee, and you'll have more $$ for the kids.

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
Oops ... meant to include this link. Here's some info with phone numbers, down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.moes.gov.bz/Directory/Bze/page08.htm

Last edited by wannaBEthere; 04/02/07 07:00 AM.

Hi Libbymim,

If you got to the first thread in this category, you can link to the San Pedro Daily and see a letter from Francis Wilson. It details the expenses of running Holy Cross School and will give you a better idea of what is provided for each of the children, and the costs involved. The need is huge, but the payoff, in the long run, is much bigger. We just need to take care of this generation, and they, in turn, will take care of the future.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
C
C
Did you know their are quite a few children on Caye Caulker who dont get to go to school past 6th grade, Because we have no school beyound that! The children have to go to Belize City or San Pedro, more families could do that except each child has to pay $10 a day for water taxi fare. Alot of families have several children which makes this amount prohibitive. Soon as season is over, Easter. We are going to put efforts togather to see what funds can be raised and what families could benifit . anyone interested can email me through ifo on my profile.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
S
spl Offline
S
Originally Posted by spl
or if you dream of sponsoring an individual child that is wonderful! Do what you feel is best. I think Holy Cross just got a $13 K BZ donation from a wonderful group along with many, many individual donations.

No clue how to modify my post so I will add to it. I just found out from an old post that this school is or was in very high need of many things. Donate direct to the school if you are interested, and if you have your heart set on an individual child go with your heart.

smile smile smile

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.