Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hunters Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I brought a cellphone on my last trip and bought a Digicell chip at the airport with a prepaid option at the BTL office. I brought an unlocked GSM multiband phone and it worked great.

I think Smart uses a different type phone. Can I buy a phone that will work on Smart in the U.S. and bring it with me? Tell me what it needs to have.

If Smart is not an option, what cellphones are in demand there that I might buy up here and resell when I am done with it down there.

Thanks.

No matter where you go ... There you are!
Smart uses CDMA phones, BTL uses GSM 1900 mhz phones. Razrs are in big demand, very expensive here over 500US.

Last edited by dabunk; 04/04/07 08:40 PM.
insane. seen razrs for $39us in the states.... free with a service contract... they are also one of the flimsiest phones ever. they break a LOT

But they are "cool" here, kids are no different here than the US. The cheap Nokia in walmart for 15 US go for over 50 Us here.

S
S
I don't suggest smuggling contraband, unless you declare the electronics and pay import duties and GST. Unlocked GSM 1900 band phones without a service contract can be a bit expensive in the US, especially when adding the import duties and GST.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
D
D
Last year I took a old T-mobile phone but it was going to be about the same as buying a new one. I did neither. This year I took my blackjack thinking it would be unlocked for Belize as well, wrong. I went to BTL as well as the shop across from Milos. Both were unable to get it to work. It is a smart phone, way smarter then me, so I'm not sure if that's the problem. I just bought a cheap T-mobile phone from the same store. But I'm not sure how long it will hold minutes etc. when I return. So an unlocked phone isn't necessarily unlocked for Belize.

D
D
Sorry, it was a Cingular service phone. I was told both T-mobile and Cingular would work. I sat next to a guy on the plane that just removed his card and inserted a different one for Belize. So I know it can be done just not by me.

i use cingular and have been wondering about this. last trip i got international calling, but paid a lot for calling/texting both in bz and my kids back home.

so this trip, do we just bring our regular cingular phones and buy chips to insert? is it really that easy?

(ooh, marty, is there now a spell-checker here?)

thanks!!

S
S
C's (across from Milo's) can unlock most GSM phones (T-mobile, Cingular) for $25 to $50. A Digicel sim chip costs and additional $25. If you contact your carrier, they can help you unlock it and you can pick up a sim chip at the Int'l Airport.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
H
hunters Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Is there a sturdier alternative than the RAZR that is 'in'? Do the kids want the mp3 or i-tunes version?

Thanks for your advice.

No matter where you go ... There you are!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.