Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235236 04/13/07 05:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm currently watching this film, 15 minutes a time when I can. I find it very disturbing. In it you can see how a monstrous ego, selfishness and a callous disregard for others grew by the acquisition of power to produce a man of pure evil. What is most disturbing is that there are people here, probably anywhere, who with the right circumstances and chances could follow the same course.

I find it very difficult to watch, mainly because I knew the man and people he killed, and while I managed to escape with my life I had personal friends who weren't so lucky. I was in Uganda in '71 and '72, which was Amin's transition period. When I arrived most people still regarded him as their saviour who had removed the despot Obote. By the time I left the secret police were everywhere, and few people doubted that he was insane and very dangerous. I was arrested and held in the central police station for three days, a place that few people emerged from alive, before inexplicably being released. Within a few hours I was out of the country and have never been back, but good friends of mine just disappeared. For all its petty problems Belize has never gone that way, and please God it never will. It is worth remembering though that the colonial history of Belize is quite similar to that of Uganda.

Amin is chillingly convincingly portrayed by Forest Whitaker, a role for which he richly deserved his Oscar. I commend this film to all of you. Tech Transylvania have it.

I did not think you were that old.

K
K
I liked the movie. Sounds like you've been through a lot.

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
Yea Peter we agree on something.
Wonderful film
and yes an Oscar

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Love the movie...made me see things more clearly. Am so glad Forest Whitaker won the academy award for best actor. One of my favorites.

Can't find my plane...
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm sure we agree on a lot, Elbert.

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
Love the movie...made me see things more clearly. Am so glad Forest Whitaker won the academy award for best actor. One of my favorites.

Thanks to you Wonderwoman, we thought it was a great movie with exceptional acting!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Will be e-mailing you tomorrow about something very important. Miss and love ya'll.

Can't find my plane...
C
C
liked the movie but seemed like it took to long for things to "get started"....

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.