Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235362 04/14/07 08:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
"A foretaste of the delights we can expect in 2009, when the EU makes it compulsory for us to use planet-saving, low-energy light bulbs (CFLs, or Compact Fluorescent Lamps), comes from the website of Bar Harbour, a small town in Maine. Last month Brandy Bridges was inserting a CFL in her seven-year-old daughter's bedroom, to save on energy bills, when the bulb fell onto the carpet and broke.

"She rang the shop it came from, asking how to dispose of it, She was told that, because it contained mercury, she should ring the Poison Control hotline. They directed her to the Department of Environmental Protection, which immediately sent an official to take mercury readings. Around the carpet they were so high that they instructed her not to clean it up herself but to contact a local contractor, Clean Harbour Environmental Services.

"The firm inspected the bedroom and quoted her a minimum of $2,000 dollars to clean it up and remove the carpet. A month later the child's bedroom is still sealed off, while Mrs Bridges scrapes together the $2,000 and money to replace the carpet.

"Since this became a local cause célèbre, the DEP has changed its tune, saying that it is perfectly okay to clean up spilt mercury with sticky tape. Mrs Bridges, having first been told how dangerous that mercury was, is not convinced.

"And Brussels still has to work out how to dispose of all those billions of CFLs it wants to make compulsory in the EU from 2009, since its Restriction on Hazardous Substances directive last year banned the disposal of mercury into landfill."

#235380 04/15/07 08:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
geez, if Brandy Bridges had just contacted algore she could have received $2000 worth of carbon credits. Think how useful that would have been.
Every time a CFL breaks an angel gets her wings. Or is it.Every time a CFL breaks a tree is planted in Harlem. Nah, that's not it. I need help here from some real scientists. (-;

Be careful there p2, you are treading on dangerous waters.

#235381 04/15/07 08:44 AM
Yep. I just purchased enough carbon credits so I can buy 20 SUVs and fly a private jet to and from BZE any time I choose -- guilt free. Hypocrisy has never been easier!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
I gather from your categorial dismissal of our musings that you are a fan of carbon credits. Cool. If you can explain to me how this in any way makes sense, I'd love to hear it.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Nova #235468 04/15/07 09:00 PM
K
K
Interesting...I happen to work for Clean Harbors Environmental Services,Inc. I do believe most all new FLB's/CFB's are being made mercury free now.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The Brandy Bridges incident was only last month. Perhaps there's a large stock of unsold ones containing mercury.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.