Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235813 04/19/07 12:34 PM
J
jaimej Offline OP
OP Offline
J
hello, so my boyfriend and i are coming to ambergris caye in july. i booked at royal caribbean resort...it was #6 or #7 in popularity index on trip advisor and i got a good deal. i read good things about the service and that it was nice inside, however in some forums i read about it looking like "military barracks" and some people seemed to think it better to stay closer to town. i understand it is about 2 miles from town. my question is, because i was having second thoughts is, do you think it is really important to be that much closer to town and does anyone have any opinions they would like to share about royal caribbean resort? i appreciate your thoughts!

jaimej
Never stayed at royal caribbean and not quite sure even where it is.

However, I recommend staying in town or close to town if possible. 2 miles is quite a ways if you are talking north. 2 miles south is a bit better and more accessible.

C
C
Similar in layout to Stalag 17.

J
jaimej Offline OP
OP Offline
J
i believe royal caribbean resort is 2 doors south of victoria house...it is pretty new. is it a pain riding bikes and getting cabs? we are staying 8 nights and will probably do a few day trips...snorkeling, cave tubing, caye caulker, etc. i know they have fido restaurant and bar and i think i heard victoria house has a cool bar. so i was thinking we would not always need to go to town, but not really sure because i have never been. thanks again for the comments, it is nice being able to ask those who are more familiar.

jaimej
jamie, are you planning on renting a golf cart? It's necessary if you plan on going to town a lot. As you mentioned, the upside to staying there (and I myself have not stayed there) is that they have a really nice pool and access to a fairly new rest./bar called the Sandbar or Fido's 2. It's pretty much just right outside your door! Also, there WAS a water taxi running from the Sandbar to town, the dock at the original Fido's. Not sure how often it runs. Are you planning on renting a goft cart during your stay?

Also, as you mentioned, you'd be fairly close to Victoria House! That's a nice place!

If you are happy riding bikes then the hotel is a very easy distance to town. Taxis run day and night in this area too.

I live past Royal Caribbean and don't feel that it is too far from town.

The hotel has little cabins with thatch roofs. It isn't the most attractive resort on the island but it is new with a nice pool and restaurant.

B
B
I've have a few friends that stayed at Royal Caribbean and really liked it. When it was being built, everyone on the island thought that they were building a prison. It looked like something out of The Great Escape. 4 rows of small cabins on top of dirt was a pretty terrible sight. Now that the landscaping, pool and bar are in, it starting to look pretty good. I checked out the cabin that my friends stayed in and it was very charming. You'll have a great trip.

K
K
Royal Caribbean still looks like a concentration camp. Oh well. There is a nice pool, and its right next door to Fido's Sandbar. Its not too far out of town, you'll be just fine.

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
V
V
Royal Caribbean looks a lot better than it used to. I have walked the grounds there and looked inside windows when they were working on it. They look nice inside. I'd recommend a golf cart or bikes to get to town. We own past Royal Caribbean and definately wouldn't want to taxi all the time. Since you are geting a good price on accomodations...rent a cart. We also own a place in town. We love to stay at both our places. South of town (or north) are more private. Being in town is nice as you are more central. Lots of stuff is close at hand. But then, you're on vacation so you have all the time in the world.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 86 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.