Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236177 04/24/07 04:19 PM
OP Offline
I am just heart sick right now.

I sent a huge box down of brand new books and supplies for the school. It arrived today and when TG went to get it for the school, And it is marked Charitable Donation, The Belize Customs people have said they are NOW going to start charging duty taxes.

So this HUGE (and I mean HUGE, lots of books, supplies etc.) box sits in the post office not doing the children of San Pedro any good.

Isn't there a rule or something about CHARITABLE DONATIONS being exempt? How can they just 'now' say they are going to start enforcing this rule?

Is the Mayor or someone else that could help with this?

If this is what is going to happen, people are not going to be able to send support. <heavy sigh> here i thought there was SOMETHING i could do from Colorado to help the Children and school out, since i couldn't be there to help with clean ups etc.

Okay back to putting up more towels around the windows where the driving sleet/wind is leaking around my plate glass huge windows and picking up the dry wall pieces.

oes

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
I sure hope Customs will reconsider charging for duty. As for shipping donations, it's always been a crapshoot as regards duty. Just in case, did you enclose receipts?

I will make a point of asking about that too. Perhaps check also with the Belize Embassy and the main Customs Office. It may be there is a way to send charitable donations but not regular shipping and not pay doo doo. Oops, I mean duty. Please let us know what you find out. I know one guy bought uniforms for the soccer teams and they got held up. He said he would not pay duty and it took a few phone calls before it was finally released. Now perhaps he didn't follow the proper channels. If ya can just write Charity on a box then that's a little to much an open door for avoiding the duty. makes sense but of course we all want the donations for the school. Needs to be worked out for sure.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
OP Offline
no, didnt' send receipts as they were a donation! i believe i did write Charitable Donation on the box!

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
does this new "rule" apply to bringing things down for the school or only for shipped boxes? a while back i brought alot of school supplies down..as well as things for saga...had 2 large suitcases full...saga and cochita flota(the lady in charge of the school supplies)submitted an e mail to me, stating that they are awaiting these donations from me, which i printed out and carried with me...all customs did was open the bags, to make sure that's what was in them, and sent me right on thru...

most of the time I think it's who go to collect the stuff and who is working at the post office at the time.

I am sure the school will get the supplies.

Last edited by belizegial; 04/24/07 07:24 PM.
I spoke with one Officer this morning and he said it can be set up even for shipping but Frances and Vernon need to make arrangements. I will also talk to Jason at the Customs office. He's a good person, proffessional, and also a JP / justice of the peace which is a lifetime honory position unless you do something wrong. Jr. Heredia goes to Belmo Pan every week and I believe he can set it up. Then only acompaning letters shown when the packages arrive. So yes, there is a way to handle duty free contributions and avoid the hold ups. More later.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
OK, I got the Info. The letters come from the department of the treasury and are usable for six months to the Admins of the chariy. The goods do get taxed 2% which is not duty but a separate tax. So you still need to include invoices. Yes people sometimes slide through customs but that is at the discretion and curtasy of the Officer and should not be assumed. This applies to packages shipped or goods brought through your luggage at the airport Customs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.