Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236358 04/26/07 12:32 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline

Ambergris Caye Parrots
Aztec Parakeet
Peterson identifies Ambergris's Parrot as "Aratinga Astec", (olive-throated) parakeet.
On Ambergris flocks can be seen traveling in the morning, to areas of ripe Almond trees and returning to roosts in afternoon. Flocks are usually 10 to 15 on Ambergris and I'm taking a wild guess of two flocks from my observations, however I wouldn't discount the roost isn't always on the Caye some may just visit for the day to enjoy current fruit ripening events. This morning May 26th a flock in Ambergris Caye Area # 19 http://belizebirdblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/ambergriscaye-sightings-map.html
eating red berries from a tree I haven't identified. They seem to have keen eye sight and very much unlike other birds will fly away at the sight of humans from a distance. I hide to get a look and often when I'm peering through some brush I see looking back at me a cautious stare, at what looks like, into my binocular lens. What I'm suggesting is that you hide and sneak to get an observation, The Birds almost always feed and perch in the tops of trees making a view difficult. Observation area #18 June 2006.
The family of Psittacidae contains about 330 species classified into approximately 60 genra and six to eight subfamilies, which some zoologists consider should be regarded as a separate family. The name "parakeet" is a division of many opinions, and it is very possible parrots and parakeets are separate families however my opinion runs with Peterson as the name implies they are just small Parrots. Soon some new DNA scientist will prove us right or wrong.
All Psittaciformes have zygodactyl feet as do woodpeckers, but use them with more dexterity.
All Psittacidae like to eat fruit and nuts so they are said to be, "frugivorous". And Ambergris's also enjoy Palmetto berries. Almond Trees are abundant on Ambergris and seem a big attraction. The Blue-Green color of the Aztec seems to make for excellent camouflage against its leaves. They are quiet while eating unless a warning squawk is necessary.
They nest in holes in trees that they discovered, not made by themselves. Abandoned woodpecker holes in coconut trees seem to be preferred on Ambergris.
Identifying the Aztec parakeet may be difficult at first. Fast flying flocks passing between you and the late afternoon sun are almost impossible to identify by sight, but voice identification is useful.
As they fly, members of the flock make a raucous scream of "krrieh krrie krreach", randomly and without chorus. Some assumption can be made by knowing which species shrieking squawks. Another assumption of mine is they are traveling to the roost in the afternoon and away from it in the mornings. This seems to indicate to me roosts are on the south end or south is the route to the mainland roost. Water being in short supply in May and June before the rainy seasons starts cause many birds to be seen where they are not normally, due to the quest for water as well as ripening berries, Birds like the Aztec Parakeet rarely visit the ground and prefer to get water from plants. The banana tree holds a little drink in its head as do many jungle and littoral forests flora. Hate is an emotion Parrots are noted for. This from a Darwinian angle has a purpose. The purpose I believe is Solidarity of the flock in defense of outsiders. Most parrot pet owners will verify this for you, some thing will be noted as an object of its hate such as dogs, men or red heads.
Helping the Aztec Parrots of Ambergris survive and live with us in this changing environment will depend partially on our planting replacement trees and shrubbery that are food sources, however in the case of the shy and illusive Ambergris Aztec Parrot privacy from an area undeveloped will be the key to having a rookery.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
A large flock (30+) visits around San Marcos area almost daily. Very noisy!

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow that great info, do you get a good look?
San Marco? is that on the site map?
birdwatching via the internet

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
San Marcos is the subdivision originally known as Aguilar Sub'd., located inland from Xanadu Resort, and east of San Pablo. Still lots of virgin littoral forest with palmettos, coco plum, etc.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
That puts your sighting in area #34 Ambergris Caye sightings map.

http://belizebirdblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/ambergriscaye-sightings-map.html
I know that place your right some of the land there has never been cut for development and has original trees.

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
I'm overrun with birds!!! Even Chachalakas...noisy!!! I'm told they're good to eat but I prefer Mennonite Chickens.

Last edited by Jesse; 04/26/07 01:28 PM.
hi elbert. i sent you a pm, just for fun.

jesse, you need a scare-parrot? LOL!

Hey my ole neighbor.
I have two familys of the parrots that come to the almond tree in my yard twice a day. Not always together but sometimes. Right now we have loads of the oriels too but my yard could be a darn bird watching camp. There's jungle swamp on one side, fields with palmettos on another, that something hair tree, ant something tree and Banyons. I'm sure a lot more but nice now because secluded with few neighbors so the birds own the place. Trying to keep the woodpeckers off the siding. Once in a while we have Owls too. Way loads of different humming birds at the feeder and more finches than I could count. Maybe I'll set up a Belize bird webcam? Kinda nuts. Come by sometime Elbert. The only ones I haven't seen is that nut cracking think that resembles a small cacatoo and the Hawk that nests up high and eats a lot of fish but they're just down the road. First time I haven't lived right on the water but I'm loving it. I am told the area was a Mayan garden at one time and that's why the variety of plants and black dirt. I can believe that. You come and point out the birds and I'll feed ya, And shoot some video, hows that? You keep the video. smile Spend the day.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.