Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236476 04/27/07 10:41 AM
M
MandM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Has anyone been using BTLs' new VOIP service? We all knew it was coming, and the pricing isn't bad (USD 0.03 to the US and Canada) - but the website (www.webtalkinternational.com) is a bit light on information. If BTL is going to be competitive, they will need to offer local numbers to customers, the way that Vonage, Skype and others do, so that relatives outside of Belize can call a local number and connect to us here. I have no idea if they are planning to offer that type of service. What they are offering now is at least a good start, but has anyone out there actually used this service? If so, how would you rate the call quality, etc.?

As an interesting aside, the per minute rate that BTL quotes on the website for calls to Belize is USD 0.19, which is cheaper than the cost of a call from my home phone to a local cell phone!

I signed up yesterday. It's very simple, works OK, no incoming number and no ability to chat with another subscriber to the same service free of charge. But, for folks in Belize looking to avoid BTL's VOIP blocking without buying expensive encryption software it's just fine.

MandM... u can buy a phone card from a convienence store way cheaper than using ur land line..e ie: $20 is worth about an 1hr talk time to Belize... some cards are more or less... just an fyi... wink

BTL web talk service (which I subscribed to like a total idiot) has been down now for over 1 month. Yup, they've got my money, I think I made 2 calls on it, I've got plenty of credit left that I can't use. There does not appear to be any support or explanation from BTL for this extended down time.

Also, BTL seem to be blocking Skype calls from outside Belize to Belize land line phone numbers.

M
MandM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's almost funny. BTL has blocked (or tried to block) VOIP services in and out of Belize for a long time. All of the noise that was made by those of us living in Belize at the time produced basically nothing in response by BTL, other than that they planned on introducing their own VOIP product for us to use.

So, when I was surprised to see a little flyer enclosed in my BTL bill that advertised their new VOIP service, I thought I'd check it out. I did check it out - checked out the rates, checked out the software, and even read the Terms and Conditions of Use document.

Then I made the original post, to see what others had to say about it. Since that day, I have not been able to even _get_ to the website most of the time, and when I do get there, it just says that the service is temporarily unavailable. Sorry.

I somehow doubt that BTLs' new WebTalk service is going to be a big hit here in Belize, especially when we can get around their attempts to block VOIP.

Chris, I hope BTL gets the service up and running again, at least long enough for you to use up your remaining credit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 261 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.