Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#236573 04/28/07 02:26 PM
K
kda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
We are looking for a new island destination and need some info on CC to make sure it is what we are looking for.
Questions:
1)The beaches look fabulous from the pics but are they conducive for laying around and sipping drinks? I notice a lot of people laying on piers and some areas don't look to have much of a beach.
2) What is swimming/snorkeling from shore like? I don't mind taking snorkeling trips but I would like a place that you can just hop in and snorkel at whim.
3) We are not looking for a lot of night life but do like to have a few bars to choose from.

CC looks to have the type of laid-back, low-key atmosphere we are looking for; guess my main concern in being able to lounge on a beach and hop in some nice water. That being said, is this the place for us and if so, what areas of the island should we look into?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

Last edited by kda; 04/28/07 02:26 PM. Reason: remove name
kda #236578 04/28/07 08:00 PM
C
C
Their are plenty of areas to sit, sun and sip, but not alot of good swimming beaches, dock access is better. You can snorkel at the Split, its a great spot, has a bar,very nice large beach. big gathering spot for tourist and locals. Their are several upscale hotels with pools and great sunning areas, The Seaside Cabanas and Iguana Reef. Hotels run from $15 to $125 a nite, Their is great night life, The Oceanside has live music 2 nites a week, GREAT DANCING MUSIC! This is a great place, laid back, friendly. Theirs lots of info online just do a Caye Caulker search.

J
J
I like Caulker, but fear you are going to be disappointed in the beaches. What islands are you used to?

There are some great restaurants, surprising variety for such a small island. Also, several fun bars.

But, if the beach is the deal breaker, do a bit more research.

A
AlJ Offline
A
Look at the pictures in my post below "Recent Caye Caulker Trip". Look at the ones of the Split and the Lazy Lizard. Those show where the best snorkeling from the beach is. Drinking up there is pretty good too. If you want big wide open beaches, Caye Caulker may not be the place. Otherwise, it sounds like a pretty good match.

AlJ #237105 05/03/07 11:59 PM
K
kda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I think the decision has been made...CC is calling our names. I know there will be some concessions in that the beaches may not be great, there is sea grass to contend w/, but all of the positive reviews have me sold. We debated on Ambergris Caye but the slow, laid back atmosphere of CC is more appealing. The simpleness (hope that's the right word!!)of the island is what is grabbing me.

So now that we are sold...help w/ lodging??? We can afford the more pricier places like CC Condos, Seaside etc, but I want to experience what I feel is more the heart of CC, the simpler places. I ask for a few basics: clean, a/c, hot and cold water, private bath, relatvely comfy beds. Frills are not required nor desired. Any advice on Costa Maya Beach Cabanas or Jaguar Morning Star?

Jean, I'm no island expert... I've just dabbled a bit: Australia and Barrier Reef, islands of Greece, Italy, Hawaii, Cozumel, expansive beaches of Cali, sugar sand beaches of Florida's panhandle and Atlantic coast, and eastern coast beaches. I wish I could combine the best beach with the best water-then I would have the perfect place! I have not really experienced much of the Carribean and was really searching for a place less traveled. Belize seems to be it. In all honesty, we are going a tad out of our comfort zone but I am so totally pumped about it!

Please keep sending info my way...places to stay (next big decision that we'd like to decide on this weekend), eat, drink, and in general, BE MERRY!!

Thanks so much for your input folks!!

kathy anderton
kda #237114 05/04/07 06:54 AM
J
J
It sounds like Caulker will be a good fit for you. You might look at De Real Macaw. We had a decent room (even had a fridge) facing the ocean, which in the case of this property also means fronting the street. It was great sitting out front and watching the dogs and people wander by. Loved it. Also a small grocery store right down the block for beer and soda.

Our last few trips to Ambergris, we keep saying we're going to make it back to Caulker, but we never seem to make it. Maybe in September....

Your island experiences are enviable. I'm guessing buying in Belize has limited our travels to a certain extent. I really would like to see the Greek Islands though.

S
S
My husband and I stayed at Jaguar Morningstar a couple of years ago. Nice comfortable very clean lodging, small refrigerator, bottled water, coffee, tea, etc. We enjoyed our stay there and the owners, Joanne and Al, are just the nicest and most helpful people. It's a little off the beaten path, but that's what's nice about it. Nice and quiet at night. Plus, pretty much everything is within walking/bicycling distance on CC, so that's not really an issue if you can leave the insane pace of the US where it belongs and just relax. If you stay there, just rent a couple of bicycles so you can pedal slowly around the village and have easy access to the Split, if that's your thing.

Also have stayed at De Real Macaw and enjoyed our stay there also. Friendly people, and pretty much the same amenities as Jaguar. More noisy though, since it is right on Front Street.

Now we usually stay at the Vega Apartments, since we like to do a lot of own cooking and they have a kitchen. It is also right smack dab in the middle of the hustle and bustle, but the property has a large fenced in, gated yard, which you can lock, which gives you kind of your own private oasis.

K
kda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks everyone for your input! I am finally getting a list together of some possibles for lodging. This kind of travel sure requires a lot more research than the packaged deal kind,but I'm having a blast doing it and learning tons about the island.

More questions: Where is most of the cave tubing located? How convenient/easy/cheap is it to make a trip over to San Pedro and onto the mainland?

I'm sure I'll be asking for more help as I narrow my list down.

Thanks again!

kda #237261 05/06/07 06:11 PM
C
C
Dont want you to rethink your trip, I live on Caye Caulker because I love it, but have been to alot of the places you mentioned, lived in Hawaii for 26 years. After this trip you may want to check out the Bay Islands of Honduras, they are awesome , beautiful sandy beaches, volcanic mountains, snorkling from the beach and less expensive. You will also love Caye Caulker its got a very unique personality. To answer your questions the water taxi will take you round trip to the mainland or San Pedro for $15 R,T, Most of the cave tubing is in the Cayo District.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
K
kda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Awww gosh, Cooper...if you had HALF a clue what ya just did to me!! I've spent the last 4 hours looking at the Bay Islands...I have about 10 pages of info on CC and then ya throw me a new idea! Alas, I am still set on CC...w/ Honduras on my next to-go list.

In the meantime, please forgive me as I continue to ask for info. Any word on Angler's Reef? I can't find it's location but I will be emailing them again for that.

Scuba and Jean, thanks for info on De Real Macaw and Jaguar...both are in my "maybe" list.
How long does it take to get from San Pedro to CC?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day