Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
What are the port authority fees for barge landings? One would imagine they are a tiny portion of the operators collections.

Yes, I have often wondered why the operators would put money into areas and facilities that are "temporary" when they could pool their money with the goverment and have a practical facility.

It probably boils down to not wanting to share or be beholden to anybody else. Not wanting to be told what they can and cannot do. Being told when and where they can park etc.

And of course I can see indignation. Why should they start paying now for rights that have been granted at no cost for so many years.

Granted by US. Of course it takes some real clout to make a difference. A group of people that are relentless in the lobbying, planning etc.

Unfortunately, at this time that group of leaders won't include me. I am still burned out from previous forays.

Anybody want to start the ball rolling? Maybe the Chamber of Commerce? The newspapers? One of the politicians?

Our town has so many growth issues that it is difficult to pick the one challenge that one can dedicate enough time, energy, and money into.

As it stands right now the dredging for the "Port" is not adequate for the rising traffic. manuevering is a time consuming problem. This project was well under way before it was officially being called a "Port" We ll if it's going to be a "Port" That will cost a lot extra. (2,000,000.00) USD according to one Port authority official from last year. In the Interum the resources available do need to be focussed on finishing what was started and "Port" status postponed. My opinion of course because we are a cash and carry economy here. It just confuses the process right now. It's a "Landing" or whatever. The same people who will complain about all this will complain when they're waiting for their building materials. Dredging two places is rediculous. If we have to use the one in town another year and raise the use fees to pay for dredging makes more sense to me than waste funds and risk the Parks condition. I appreciate your post very much Amanda. You speak the truth. I believe our current town leaders are able to make some plan work as long as we all support the process.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
Somebody please come up with a better option than I've seen so far.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
JZB Offline
How about Caribbean Depot invest the half million dollars (US) on dredging the current port instead of creating a new one, how about Varelas and Mash spend the money they are using on fixing up the current south dock to help with the current port? Or is that too logical?

S
S
Well, I would put my money on their decision. I mean they only have been operating the Island's only cargo businesses since the beginning. Of course they want to save money and time, unless it's been dumb luck the last 30 years that they have been in operation. Guess who pays more if they don't keep costs down? All of us, cause' we all use them one way or another. It costs $6.00 to send an envelope to Belize City with Tropic, imagine if we flew our cargo out here?

Who ever has run a proftiable barge business on the island can contribute an educated opinion.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
K
K
Apparently that leaves you out Sin.
Now that fuel prices have gone up again we will absorb that cost also, by hauling trucks 4 miles into town you don't think that will cost any more? (who's going to pay for that?) So building a new barge is going to keep the costs down? The only thing their getting by moving South is, not having someone tell them what to do.

The major Barge operators attitudes of stubborn defiance of the towns boards wishes is tolerated because of our nepotists atmosphere in government and on the Island. New blood is the solution.
a non-nep'o�tis'tic (i think i just invented a new word again)law on an island with such limited last names in the phone book would be difficult to get passed.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
...and you too Kathy. If you have experience with marine engines and fuel costs you would realize it is much cheaper to move cargo on land than at sea. If we had a overland route to the island, you wouldn't see barges carrying loose cargo. (a lot of construction is south of town and the northern resorts/barges pick up at the docks).

SIN

S
S
The same thing happens in all governments, San Pedro and Belize is just so small it's more visible. Keeping you friends and family in power is just good business.

This isn't good business.
Its mayhem because the cousins and inlaws are doing what they want to do regardless of whats good for the community.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.