Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23790 07/22/00 08:43 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Like BeerBudget,have further questions re: customs.Do they inspect all luggage or is it similar to Cancun where they do a random check? We were going to take powdered milk as well as some snack items(crackers,canned tuna,boxes of mac/cheese).If this is a futile effort,we won't take them.Also, decided on Seven Seas for our week stay in September for several reasons..our first visit and they are in close proximity to town,also they have a pool(even though it is not in view of the ocean) and they were very prompt in responding (still have never gotten a response from the Palms!).Any comments on the beach in front of the Seven Seas would be welcome..as long as we can lounge/swim/walk the beach we will be most content.Thanks for all of your comments,not only to my postings but to all others..I have gotten so much info through other postings! Can't wait to finally get there.

Mary and Scott
#23791 07/22/00 08:49 AM
N
nat Offline
N
It must be a random search b/c we were just waived on through. Consider carrying your bags on, rather than checking them. It saved us some time (and also the risk of having your luggage lost). Enjoy.--nat

#23792 07/22/00 09:16 AM
J
J
Nat,

What is the limit on carrying luggage on the plane? We will have alot of equipment along with our bags.

June

#23793 07/22/00 03:33 PM
We always bring noodle mixes, poptarts, nutrigrain bars, granola bars, fruit rollups, ground coffee, tea bags, and other packaged snacks. Even when searched, they haven't questioned anything we've brought in. We're not trying to bring in milk, meat or fresh produce either.
http://www.caribbean-colors.com

#23794 07/22/00 04:33 PM
In my experience the customs agents don't inspect everybody's luggage, but they do inspect quite a significant percentage. They might just look in one bag, if you have several, or pass you through without looking at any, but it's not like some countries where the vast majority of bags are not inspected at all.

It's perfectly okay to bring in snack items and most sealed grocery items for personal use. Of course, the groceries in San Pedro are pretty well stocked and to me it's not worth lugging a lot of extra stuff.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#23795 07/22/00 11:01 PM
N
nat Offline
N
Most airlines only allow you to carry on 2 bags per person. Sometimes you can get away with 3 depending on how full the flight is. If you have lots of equipment you may just have to check them.

I would bring toiletries and your swim suit and a few other essential in your carry-on. If for some reason your checked bags get lost, you would still be able to get by. That's my rule of thumb when traveling.--nat

#23796 07/23/00 02:51 PM
I agree with Lan and Nat, good info.
Carry on just what you would need to survive until they find your baggage.
There are good grocery stores, to get whatever you might need. Remember the price is market in BZE$, which is half that amount in when you are paying with US$. Prices are not way out of line. No lines at the store, you can zip in and out in a few minutes.

Dare To Deviate
#23797 07/24/00 02:33 PM
Most of the above info is right on. We were just waived through and had no trouble. We were traveling with two boys and did bring their favorite snacks. I did bring tuna and canned ham, for sandwhiches, pop tarts, cool aid mix, our favorite coffee, and a few other things. Didn't seem to be a problem. As far as weight, I had heard that on international flights, the weight limit is 44lbs. We had HUGE duffle bags and didn't even come close to that. One other word of caution. Don't put your traveler's checks in your carry on bag. Heard a girl had hers stolen right out of the overhead bin. Get one of those "under your clothes" things to attach to a bra or around the waist. And carry all medications in your carry on. Turned out we needed it "en route" and was glad we did. The grocery stores DO have a lot to choose from, and I was very surprised at the selection of medication available. Many things that we have as "prescription" meds, they have over the counter. ie: stuff for ear pain, simple antibiotics, etc. Have a wonderful time!!!!

#23798 07/24/00 05:54 PM
T
T
We took powdered milk in packages and took boxed milk (ready to drink) MISTAKE on the boxed. They took it. The powdered is fine. We took canned tuna, chicken, cookies, crackers, noodles, jelly, peanut butter, gummy bears, candy, ect.. any thing that is dried will be fine. Just be ready to pay duty if you have a lot. Be careful on what you tell them it is worth because you may end up paying a lot. What they don't know won't hurt them!! They did check at least 1 bag of everyone when our party of 5 when we went through, or will ask you what is in the bag or cooler. Then will ask you to open it so don't lie about what is in it.
The prices are a little high I thought at he stores .Chips about 3-4$US bag, cereal about 6-7$ US box,Charcol 25$ US If you have the room take what you need. Island market by the distribution center is the best supermarket. Have everything you will need. Go to the Distribution Center to get Beer, soda and bottled water. Cost less there. They are located north of the Palms. The grocery store is across from the Distribution center. Go in the OFFICE door and order what you need and they will get it for you. Get you wines, rum, gin, ect.. at the grocery store. Have fun!! It's great. Go to Fido's and eat. Great place just to relax and see! Ask for DEAN for your waiter. He is great. You don't even pick up you plate. As he told us "you on vacation, let me do the work"!! He was the best. Went 2 nights and was treated like kings and queens both nights!

#23799 07/24/00 09:16 PM
J
J
The weight limit for checked in luggage is 70 lbs. The last time we were there we came close, but then again were trying to fill our condo. Josh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.