Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
OP Offline
N
FTWB (Frank The Wonder Boy) and I will be coming to Belize the around mid June to visit and also to look for property. We hope to find a place to live about 10 months out of the year.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a thread about realtor's here but didn't find much. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone that sells on the main land as well as the cayes? No condos!

We are both retired and won't be working. We would like a place not to far from the water but not necessarily right on the beach. We own some land on St. Croix that has a great view to the north but we have heard so much about Belize we though we would check it out.

I had a friend that retired from IBM several years ago and ended up in Belize for a while and loved it. I think he fell into the boat repair business then moved back to Texas.

Frank lived in Puerto Rico for 12 years so he's well aware of the more laid back life style of living out of the states. We have been going to Puerto Rico and the USVI three or four times a year for several years. We both love it.

Thanks
Nancy

I wouldn't hazzard a recommendation for a realtor...there are plenty to choose from in the "Businesses" section from this website. I get vibes that you may receive some Personal Messages in the not to far future.

Gone fishing!!
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks Bill. I got all excited when I saw I had a PM then saw it was a automatic "Welcome" from Marty.

Not that I wouldn't welcome a PM from Marty. I just thought it might be information on a realtor. LOL

Any suggestioins about places to visit, eat, do are more than welcome. Though I am very surprised a the wealth of informatin on the net about Belize. We like everything from street food to simi-fine dinning. I hate dressing up. But that doesn't seem to be a requirement there, thank God. We really like to find a good , or bad depending on now you look at it ;-) ,watering hole where it's mostly locals.

We visited Antigua on our winter trip to the islands last November just as they were having the boat festival and got to tour the Maltese Falcon. We were walking by looking at all the boats and there was a lady standing on deck. I just said I'd sure like to see the insides of her ship, not for a minute thinking she'd say "Sure, I'd be happy to show you around".!!! After I picked up my jaw from the dock we shucked off our shoes and went aboard. She spent the better part of a hour taking us to every part of the ship except the crew quarters.

Bill is right about the realtors, I wouldn't mention a name either.
Fee simple is the rule.I may have old information but I believe we have no realtor's because they would need a board of realtor's to be a member of in order to be a realtor, but if the real-estate agents have been smart they may have invented one by now, if for no other reason, to say they are a realtor. I'm sure in the past you haven't needed a license to sell real estate in Belize, this may have changed in recent years. Anyone that raised their hand and said, 'I sell real estate', is an agent. Having to have a license evokes an ethical conduct through fear of having your license revoked, and our court system never prosecutes them so that's not a motivator either.Its a very renegade market place that he government is trying to get control of.
Be sure and involve a Belizean attorney and get a written opinion on the title. Run if someone wants to help you avoid the 'Title Transfer Tax' it's the oldest con down here and the tax is in place to stop their abuses.
Alarm bells should go off if you hear one say, 'that's how we do it down here". Having said all that thousands of folks have successfully purchased land here and are living the happy ever after. Just use your common sense.
This should bring a few out of the woodwork to explain how that's not true because of this or that....but listen to the disclaimers closely.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I'm a dive instructor crazy.

Gone fishing!!
Does my attitude show? cool

White Sands Dive Shop
Well things are sure to change soon Elbert with Coldwell Banker being here and others too like Remax and Atlas from the UK. Absolutely some kind of ethics / standards of practice requirements. I know most the Realtors on the Island and their reps and can say lots of business does get done right. But remember until recent years, recorded titles were little insurance because someone could have an older dated document saying they bought it. At least now these things are set. Has to be recorded etc. There's absolutely no reason or excuse for transfers of titles to be complete and all or any ecumbrances paid.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
I'm not really a philosopher...I just kind of pretend grin.

Gone fishing!!
How you like my new avatar?
Would you buy real estate from this man?

White Sands Dive Shop
E
E
Yep! Rather than from Thornton.

Elbert: With white buck shoes and a pinky ring...he can make a killing at the Time Share palapa. Take care: Bill PS. Hey Ernie...gots some wet property for sale.

Gone fishing!!
I'm probably due to revise my opinion on real estate sales on the island. when I was buying subdividing and selling. The market was like holding up a bank and not having to buy a pistol or worry about the sheriff. I'm sure its changed a little but I'm still very supercritical and the fact some are using name brand facades doesn't automatically change the system they are still in Belize, it will be hard to convince me the market is way different now. But I'm open.
last week a fellow wanted to sell me a cute corner lot in a commercial area. it looked good and like a deal but when we started discussing title he had bit on an 'avoid the title transfer tax 'from two transfers back. he was hoping to get me to do the same and buy it with the title still floating.
I know there are tons of poor souls like him out there that got abused way back that believe they own the land and will never be able to sell it unless they find another fool as big as they where. Victims of abuse from unlicensed agents preying on excited tourist that want a piece of paradise, but left their brain at home.

White Sands Dive Shop
I've got to work on my hair doo the swept back sprayed down lounge lizard look is hard to do with rogaine.

White Sands Dive Shop
With that BIG BEAK...who would notice thinning feathers.

Gone fishing!!
Hey Elbert
I enjoy your posts as they often reflect the voice of reason. And when not, usually at least some class and a good laugh.
So anywho... not that your hair is not important, :P but back to the topic for a minute.
I'm willing to predict that if the smaller Realtors want to survive, they will need an association, ergo legitimacy. CB is a good example. They have to "verify" all records and details in such a way as makes title insurance redundant. The office here is connected to CB.net. The same group that has the franchise for all of Central America. They have to comply with most same regulations as in the US. One things for sure; change is on the way. The day of the Divemaster/Realtor are passe'. Just for your own edification, Coldwell Banker Belize has a Compliance Officer. Perhaps the only one in the country. She'll be glad to address questions should anyone assume their name is a "facade". I found all this attractive and am like minded so when asked I of course agreed to come to work with them. I cannot comment on any other companies practices except to say, please make a note of it". lol

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
S
S
Buyers are well-advised to retain an attorney to conduct the transaction on their behalf.

Now, I guess, the thread should address how to find a good Lier.

Gone fishing!!
S
S
Thats LYAR...

and TL is a realtor-with no qualifications other than he works for CB

I agree with you on the 'Title Insurance is redundant' part. The transfer tax takes care of that concern, and an Attorneys opinion is good, not a para legal and never if that attorney works for the real estate co.
I didn't know you where now working for a real estate co.hope your not offended, its a little to early in the game for you to take it personally.
Doesn't my new Avatar add a certain slant to my comments of late.

White Sands Dive Shop
Peter ....... <sigh> you kill me. Who writes for you? Don't make me post my resume. It makes me look a braggart. wink Last month you thought I was a minister and not a reporter. Ya see, that's my main problem with you. You don't know me. I on the other hand know you too well. Last time I tried to communicate with you directly you refused. So quit throwing stones in the dark. It's pathetic. Grow up.

Yessssssss Elbert. It does indeed add something. smile Yes, it's early. I spend most my time studying and getting set up. CB's requirements are strict. I'm looking forward to it though. I still plan on having a small Production Studio but want to be able to close the doors when I want to.

smile I've been impressed with Belizean Lawyers blocking US lawyers from meddling in Belize. They have been very successful in protecting their turf. The one area that they have some problem with encroachment in is, the US lawyers giving an opinion on Belizean Real estate deals. The British style of law makes a US attorney a fish out of water and equally so with an opinion on land ownership in Belize.

White Sands Dive Shop
I believe all Title transfers will have to be facilitated by a local legal firm shortly. That's what we're doing. FYI, I am an Independent Agent, not an employee or a spokesperson. So Here I have my opinions like anyone else. CB controls our procedures but otherwise we're much like everyone else. People who have been here, know the community, and plan on being here awhile. As far as the local laws goes, that's why we use locals and have a compliance officer. I believe our group will aquireing some of the local firms as well. At least on the mainland. I doubt there will be too much Turf protecting but more accessing the network. Everyone knows CB will split commissions. Sorry for the advertorial but hard not to do so in this conversation.

Boy if you say compliance officer one more time I think I am going to choke!

If you are an independent agent you really should be able to comply to your code of ethics without having somebody monitor your activities - the truth is in the pudding!

Amanda,
I was thinking your barge was stuck on the other thread . welcome to Realtors-R-us. wink

White Sands Dive Shop
Sorry Amanda. We're talking about offices and agents in all of Central America. Not just this office. That's a lot more than just the Belize regions. As I said, if you ever have questions feel free to contact her. I agree about "should be able". But should does not build buyer confidence on an International level. Obviously there are many local agents that are able. I refer back to the authors question. How many times have you heard the same question? And why?

Want a good laugh http://newutopia.org/
Its an unregulated market
The compliance officers name is Lazarus
Hes recently lowered the buy in to 50,000
I'm going to lunch now .I'm getting silly

White Sands Dive Shop
LMAO. Too funny Elbert. I saw that one already. I rest my case. wink

I heard Jesse is heavily vested. laugh

I'm trying to reach Deacon to move my shares over while there's still time. Enjoy your lunch Elbert. I lost lost mine.

My complience officer adviced me not to rob a bank, today.

Gone fishing!!
Would tuesday work for you? Was that compliance officer or probation officer Bill Thornton?

Ha ha.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm also intrigued by the term "compliance officer" I know a bit about it, having been a compliance officer for a large business. To be a "compliance officer" in any meaningful sense you have to have rules to comply with, and you have to report to some sort of regulatory authority. Amongst other things. Can TL please explain exactly how these concepts apply in the realty selling business in Belize? In other words, supply some substance to support the jargon? Because to me (and I'm an amateur in this business) it sounds so far like so much BS.

Nancy may have obtained part of the answer she desired, if only by reading between the lines.

If you're so intrigued call her. Or is this an example of the fun loving helpful kind of communication that is being suggested? Read the lines on this one. There's nothing in between.

Hi Nancy 1340,
Since you own property in USVI, you are probably aware of some of the pitfalls in purchasing property outside the mainland. Although, buying in the USVI is a lot like buying in the US, safeguards are in place to protect you. It is also easier to obtain a mortgage should you need one.
Here is how we approach buying property outside the US.
Never by on the first trip.
As Elbert said, get a good attorney and one that is not associated with the real estate firm. Interview him/her to be sure that the attorney will represent your interests.
Interview the agents that you have an interest in or that have been referred to you. Interview thier boss or broker which ever is the title they use. Even though companies carry an international logo, some may not be right for you(sorry TL)
We have been going to AC for three years, I hope our next trip will be the one to purchase a little piece of tranquility.
Hope this helps.

I was out of town when it happen
N
OP Offline
N
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

No, we would never buy on the first trip. My take on a C.O. is that they check out all the paper work to make sure all the "i.s" are dotted and all the "t's" are crossed. Am I wrong? That said there will be lots of people asked who they trust as a buyer's lawyer. We tend to hang out with the locals rather than isolate our selves in resorts. No fun there! LOL

We won't do a mortgage most likely. I think we made 3-4 trips at least before we bought the lot on ST. Croix. We have been reading everything we can find on Belize and truthfully are starting to shy away. Seems like there is a lot of problems with the PM and other officials. But then we have good ol' Georgie boy. (eye rolling here) The situation here is one of the reasons we are looking out of the states for a place to live.

When we find out exactly when we are going to be there I would really appreciate some contact information with many of you here. I think we are going to stay at Lily's on AC. I like the idea of being right on the beach & being able to visit with people walking by. I have looked at several places and it's about the most central location. If any one has a better suggestion please feel free to post it. We usually have more fun in more modest hotels. As long as it's clean and safe. We're pretty easy to please plus I have a small problem with asthma and arthritis and Lily's looks like it's close to everything.
We'd rather spend our money on rum, beer & good food than a fancy hotel suite. Hey! We got our priorities straight. LOL

One more thing. We are looking at Clarissa Falls as a place to spend a few days in the mountains. Any input on them? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Last edited by Nancy1340; 05/27/07 12:46 PM.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Think twice about the "no mortgage" bit. If you borrow from a (local) bank on the surety of the house they will ensure that your purchase is safe, as otherwise they won't lend the money. Borrow maybe 20% and repay it after a year - there'll be costs of course, but you will be guaranteed of sound title. The problem here is not necessarily complying with the rules but trying to find out what they are.

You'll also get a pretty good objective idea of the value of the house, as the bank will value it for their own purposes.

Good budget hotels on the beach in town - also look at Ruby's and Spindrift.

Boys - I hate to spoil your fun - but I am going to get serious for a minute.

I have purchased four pieces of property in Belize. The first two were lots out on Long Caye at Lighthouse Atoll. These were purchased a year apart and handled by International Services Ltd. In Belize City. It took about a year for each of the deeds to come through.
My next purchase was a preconstruction condo purchased three years ago. I'm told the titles are about ready at an office in San Pedro.
My fourth purchase was the easiest; for sale by owner. I went with her to the bank and watched as she got proof that the mortgage was paid in full. We took all of her paperwork and went together to the Lands Office in Belmopan. The agent showed us what we needed, suggested we get an attorney to type it up. I asked if he could do it - yes, for a small fee. I was delighted that it was only BZ $300 and ready in one hour. He witnessed the exchange of money and I had the deed within a month.
As my mom used to say "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Minutes up - Elbert I think you look like a bird I would like to spot in my yard - where's Bubba?

Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
Try Emerald Futures

Donna Hill is the contact.

email [email protected]
web http://www.emeraldfutures.com

[email] [email protected] [/email]
No need to apologize to me. I have no problem with what you've said. There is Title insurance available but outside the country and adds about 5% to the costs. Could be worth it if in doubt about the process performance.

That's interesting Pedro. Makes a lot of sense. I like it. May I quote you?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Be my guest.

Didn't spot this thread down here in its new home.

C
C
Realtors need no license here, no special knowledge nothing more than a sign. We took our paperwork up in the morning and had tittle that afternoon. I know folks who have used realtors and are still waiting after months. Even if you use a realtor absolutely get a attorney check them out also, however if you have a good attorney you dont need a realtor!!! It has always been our experience with so many agencies and so called experts with their hands out for $$$. With our work permits, residency, home purchase if you have the patience to do it yourself its much faster and much cheaper. I want to add that their are realtors who do excellent jobs for their clients, this is just our experience.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
C
C
Anyone familiar with Corry McDermott?

Originally Posted by Cooper
Realtors need no license here, no special knowledge nothing more than a sign. We took our paperwork up in the morning and had tittle that afternoon. I know folks who have used realtors and are still waiting after months. Even if you use a realtor absolutely get a attorney check them out also, however if you have a good attorney you dont need a realtor!!! It has always been our experience with so many agencies and so called experts with their hands out for $$$. With our work permits, residency, home purchase if you have the patience to do it yourself its much faster and much cheaper. I want to add that their are realtors who do excellent jobs for their clients, this is just our experience.

Having been a realtor and real estate broker on Ambergris Caye since the early 90's I have to say that I have a lot more to offer a client than simply a sign!

Within the next few months the real estate bill will become law and then licencing will be necessary for all realtors and brokers.

Indeed you can record a title in a day, but usually these are the old style documents that require significant investigation in order to ensure that the land is indeed free and clear, has an unbroken chain of ownership and that the surveys have been authenticated etc.

C
C
This happend in Mexico about 10 years ago, it was great that they got tough with the anybody can sell real estate. Because now if they do that here the consumer will be better protected, as I said their are some good real estate agents here, but it needs to become a specific licensed trade.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
S
S
Nobody would sell a property they don't own! Wait a minute, oh yeah, I forgot about the Gov't.........

It's about time to regulate this industry. A license is needed to sell a beer but not to sell land.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
N
OP Offline
N
We're still waiting for the dang passport to get back. And waiting and waiting. Arggggggggg! It's been 12 weeks now. mad

We recently bought some land through Tim and Tina at investinbelize.com. Great people and we really worked them hard while we were there looking.

I agree SIN (damn, did I just say that?)
How doest it work with the time share thing? Is there a trade license issued to operate the "tourism information booths" and does it require a license to flag down people on the beach and sell time shares?
No disrespect or bad vibes, just wondering...

K
K
I agree with Weile and wondering the same. Amanda said in the next few months the real estate bill will become law for brokers and realtors. You would think that would apply to selling time shares for a piece of paridise.

JZB Offline
Didn't they just pass a new law for time share salespeople?

JZB Offline
Here are some guidelines I dug up:

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/05-504.html

I heard they were suppose to stay in there booths and sell but I have seen tourists practically run over by salesman trying to pitch them. An older belizean man and I just looked at each other and shook our heads. They're still doing the approaching people on the beach and by golf cart. I don't blame the salesman or even the Time Shae companys for trying to make a living but I always hear how people like it here because it's not like Cancun and other places in that regard. People come here to relax. If they want your business, let them knock on your door.

Small dogs and children have never bothered me however;
I used to travel the Caribbean extensively looking for Belize not knowing what it was. Some islands I visited had TimeShare/Vacation Sharing/or whatever they go by now, and I would mark that island of my list of possibilities. Some islands had the smarts to keep them out of the tourists face. Good to see the Town Board in San Pedro has concerns about them also.

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/05-504.html Good article

White Sands Dive Shop
Hey Elbert

Glad you're back in action. My Dad sells time shares in Vegas and my brother owns two and has used them well with his family. I just hate people approaching me or visitors with hard sell tactics. I don't know why they don't just market online, have a local office, and advertise in the papers. I bet they would close as many deals without affecting the atmosphere here. They could still advertise the freebie offers etc.

K
K
I never saw an answer to Weile's question. Did anyone find out if there were new laws? Jesse?

K
K
GOB is is working with AREEB to formulate the new laws, guidelines and licensing for agents.

Belize based travel specialist
www.belize-trips.com
[email protected]
We hope that the bill will be passed within the next month or so. Then training and licensing will be conducted. Expect the Belize Real Estate Act to be in effect and fully functional within the next 3 months or so.

There is already a timeshare act - and timeshares will be addressed in the real estate act.

Will post updates as they occur.

Last edited by Amanda Syme; 07/05/07 02:26 PM. Reason: More info
S
S
Laws are only as good as they are enforced. Agressive timeshare tactics will soon be a thing of the past, here on the island, just as "let's hang a shingle and sell real estate" will be also! The European marketing company that was invited to the island a few years ago can be thanked for bringing their European tactics here to our tiny Caribbean isle.

Just as it took the big crash of the stock market in the 20's to call for regulation, so it is here, takes a while, but change is happening. We have two speeds in Belize, slow and stop.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
D
D
More Real Estate Questions:
I've been thinking about selling for a while now (and buying a smaller place)
But when I'm on the Island, I turn into Holiday Steve - and I just don't seem to get around to looking into it.

Is the wet season a bad time to list?
What is the average time that a property stays on the market before selling?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.