Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#238500 05/22/07 11:58 PM
T
OP Offline
T
My husband who is 78 would like to see Tikal. We have a place in San Pedro, would fly to the border. He wonders if there are any aids for the mildly disabled at Tikal. He can walk, but places to relax or even help with mobility would be good to know about. Any ideas??

treetops #238519 05/23/07 08:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
No specifics, but when you say "fly to the border" do you realise that that isn't actually possible? You would fly from Belize City to Flores, 30-odd miles from Tikal, and take a tour from there. I believe Tropic Air arrange such tours - you could check on their website. Or try to find an agent in Tikal ahead of time - should be possible. I'm quite sure mildly disabled people will be catered for at Tikal.

It won't be cheap, however.

In the first instance, as well as contacting Tropic I'd try Katie Valk in Belize City (http://www.belize-trips.com/, email [email protected]), who does this sort of thing for a living and I'm sure will help all she can. If you're currently in the US you can call her on 1-561-210-7015.

#238714 05/24/07 02:59 PM
R
R
Here are the options:
1. Fly form Belize City to Flores (45 Mins. on Tropic Air- nice flight chances of seeing mayan ruins on route) do the Tikla Tour and return the same day to Belize City on Tropic. Flight leaves Bze City @ 9:30 a.m. and Flores Guatemala @ 3:30 p.m. Quick way of getting a glimpse of Tikal.
2. Drive from Belize City to Flores. Leave Bze. City @ 8:00 a.m. drive to the border 2 hours away (72 miles) Cross the border and drive 17 miles on road currently been paved and on the way visit Yaxha. Gorgeous Mayan Site with tall temple pyramids. Overnight at hotel in Flores or El Remate. Followind day, early morning departure to Tikal, a vehicle could be arranged to drive yuo into the ruins. Lunch and on the afternoon drive to Belize City or San Ignacio. Contact [email protected]

Rudel #239056 05/27/07 10:57 PM
as for getting around, i have to say that the one thing i do remember thinking as we were walking the grounds is that it REALLY would have been helpful if they had let people know that it might be a challenging walk if you were at all limited. I'm 35 and healthy, but for some reason i think of some these things.

there are very few places to sit and rest as you walk into the city of Tikal...but once there he can sit a lot. I worry though about the walk. a good sturdy cane would help. its certainly not a HIKE, but it is slightly uphill, and is not the most stable of footing. and, of course, then there is the downhill.

maybe there is more info on someone elses blog? did you google it?

LaraTravelBelize #240752 06/16/07 10:52 AM
B
B
We were just there. We rented a car from Crystal, they let you take the car out of Belize. The border crossing was and experiance, a young boy offered to help us get past, he earned his tip! It is a bumpy drive, but you see Guatamala. We stayed one night in Tikal, the idea was sunset photos, and sunrise photos. Well the idea was good, we had and afternoon rain storm, we did not care that we got wet, but the walking paths turn into creeks and are VERY slippery when wet. We are active and love to hike, I fell once, did not get hurt but it did make me alot more careful. Rain caused fog in the morning, so we missed the sunrise photos too. We did get many ruin photos,spider monkeys, howler monkeys, and tucans as well.
When we returned to Belize, we felt like we were home. We would do it all over again!
But I would not recommend the trip to those with mobility issues.

button pusher #240757 06/16/07 12:04 PM
B
B
As an after thought, we did see a truck drive through Tikal with passangers in the back, sort of a drive tour. You might look into this.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.