Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm also intrigued by the term "compliance officer" I know a bit about it, having been a compliance officer for a large business. To be a "compliance officer" in any meaningful sense you have to have rules to comply with, and you have to report to some sort of regulatory authority. Amongst other things. Can TL please explain exactly how these concepts apply in the realty selling business in Belize? In other words, supply some substance to support the jargon? Because to me (and I'm an amateur in this business) it sounds so far like so much BS.

Nancy may have obtained part of the answer she desired, if only by reading between the lines.

If you're so intrigued call her. Or is this an example of the fun loving helpful kind of communication that is being suggested? Read the lines on this one. There's nothing in between.

Hi Nancy 1340,
Since you own property in USVI, you are probably aware of some of the pitfalls in purchasing property outside the mainland. Although, buying in the USVI is a lot like buying in the US, safeguards are in place to protect you. It is also easier to obtain a mortgage should you need one.
Here is how we approach buying property outside the US.
Never by on the first trip.
As Elbert said, get a good attorney and one that is not associated with the real estate firm. Interview him/her to be sure that the attorney will represent your interests.
Interview the agents that you have an interest in or that have been referred to you. Interview thier boss or broker which ever is the title they use. Even though companies carry an international logo, some may not be right for you(sorry TL)
We have been going to AC for three years, I hope our next trip will be the one to purchase a little piece of tranquility.
Hope this helps.

I was out of town when it happen
N
OP Offline
N
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.

No, we would never buy on the first trip. My take on a C.O. is that they check out all the paper work to make sure all the "i.s" are dotted and all the "t's" are crossed. Am I wrong? That said there will be lots of people asked who they trust as a buyer's lawyer. We tend to hang out with the locals rather than isolate our selves in resorts. No fun there! LOL

We won't do a mortgage most likely. I think we made 3-4 trips at least before we bought the lot on ST. Croix. We have been reading everything we can find on Belize and truthfully are starting to shy away. Seems like there is a lot of problems with the PM and other officials. But then we have good ol' Georgie boy. (eye rolling here) The situation here is one of the reasons we are looking out of the states for a place to live.

When we find out exactly when we are going to be there I would really appreciate some contact information with many of you here. I think we are going to stay at Lily's on AC. I like the idea of being right on the beach & being able to visit with people walking by. I have looked at several places and it's about the most central location. If any one has a better suggestion please feel free to post it. We usually have more fun in more modest hotels. As long as it's clean and safe. We're pretty easy to please plus I have a small problem with asthma and arthritis and Lily's looks like it's close to everything.
We'd rather spend our money on rum, beer & good food than a fancy hotel suite. Hey! We got our priorities straight. LOL

One more thing. We are looking at Clarissa Falls as a place to spend a few days in the mountains. Any input on them? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Last edited by Nancy1340; 05/27/07 12:46 PM.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Think twice about the "no mortgage" bit. If you borrow from a (local) bank on the surety of the house they will ensure that your purchase is safe, as otherwise they won't lend the money. Borrow maybe 20% and repay it after a year - there'll be costs of course, but you will be guaranteed of sound title. The problem here is not necessarily complying with the rules but trying to find out what they are.

You'll also get a pretty good objective idea of the value of the house, as the bank will value it for their own purposes.

Good budget hotels on the beach in town - also look at Ruby's and Spindrift.

Boys - I hate to spoil your fun - but I am going to get serious for a minute.

I have purchased four pieces of property in Belize. The first two were lots out on Long Caye at Lighthouse Atoll. These were purchased a year apart and handled by International Services Ltd. In Belize City. It took about a year for each of the deeds to come through.
My next purchase was a preconstruction condo purchased three years ago. I'm told the titles are about ready at an office in San Pedro.
My fourth purchase was the easiest; for sale by owner. I went with her to the bank and watched as she got proof that the mortgage was paid in full. We took all of her paperwork and went together to the Lands Office in Belmopan. The agent showed us what we needed, suggested we get an attorney to type it up. I asked if he could do it - yes, for a small fee. I was delighted that it was only BZ $300 and ready in one hour. He witnessed the exchange of money and I had the deed within a month.
As my mom used to say "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Minutes up - Elbert I think you look like a bird I would like to spot in my yard - where's Bubba?

Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
Try Emerald Futures

Donna Hill is the contact.

email [email protected]
web http://www.emeraldfutures.com

[email] [email protected] [/email]
No need to apologize to me. I have no problem with what you've said. There is Title insurance available but outside the country and adds about 5% to the costs. Could be worth it if in doubt about the process performance.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
That's interesting Pedro. Makes a lot of sense. I like it. May I quote you?

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Be my guest.

Didn't spot this thread down here in its new home.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.