Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#239613 06/01/07 09:54 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie to this forum, although I have been lurking unseen in the dark corners for awhile now. My husband and I visited Belize in March and fell in LOVE with the country and it's people. I can not wait to return one day when I save the money for another trip. Until then I will keep in touch through this board and one beloved friend we met at the resort we stayed at.

Now for my question...I was reading some information about shipping to Belize on one of the links through this forum, and I ran across something that said that that packages that I send to my friend and her family in Santa Elena are kept at the Post Office for pick-up (This I was aware of) But then it mentioned that the person who picks up the package has to pay any tax due on it. Is this true??? How much is this tax? I believe that my friend and her family are rather poor, I worry that this "tax" may be a burden for them to come up with! I have so far mailed 3 packages containing about $70 (American) worth of items each. Should I enclose cash to repay taxes they are paying? Does "cash" have to be listed on a customs form? The boxes have contained mainly clothes and toys for kids, I am frustrated that they have to pay to retrieve my gifts.

Thank for any replys,

Michelle

Michelle Lee #239614 06/01/07 09:59 PM
S
S
Duty may be charged on incoming goods...but thats not always charged. Yes, it can be a burden to Belize folks that are on a tight budget. Including $$ in the package may not be the best answer though. Others on here may have workable ideas...

Michelle Lee #239615 06/01/07 10:01 PM
They have to pay duty on the value of the contents and on the cost of postage and 10% GST on top of that. Alot depends on her postmaster as to how much they charge, they have lots of leeway in what they charge.

dabunk #239629 06/02/07 12:31 PM
hide the cash. send the package. they pay from $ they have and then dig out the $$

or mail cash first separately to pay the tax. when package arrives make sure money envelope got there already.

don't say there is cash in there.

also you can enclose receipts that indicate very low value. they don't HAVE to go by them, but what the heck. can't hurt.

Marty #239631 06/02/07 02:01 PM
S
S
Mark "gifts". Western Union $US20.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
I have found that if you put actual prices on things the postmaster usually is much more lenient. They know what things cost and if you lowball stuff they know you are trying to rip them off. Usually ticks them off and costs you more in the long run.

dabunk #239667 06/03/07 12:56 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for the replys. At this point I think I will send money ahead of my gifts to make sure they can afford to pick up the things I send for the children in the household.

You all are the best!

Michelle

Michelle Lee #240213 06/09/07 09:47 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I sent off another box yesterday and I about fell over when the post office told me the total for shipping. Our US Post Office redid it's rates it's rates on May 14th, and the cost of sending a 3 1/2 lb box nearly doubled as a result,(it cost over $36 to send it almost as much as I spent on the contents) and before it was automatically insured, now it is not. What a shame. So I was going to check into FedEx-UPS and such, but does anyone know how they deliver there with the tax situation? Here in the USA they are not allowed into the Post Offices due to Union regulations. Also I did send a card ahead of time with some US cash to cover taxes, is US cash accepted in the entire country, or just along the coastline/tourist areas???

Thanks Again in Advance!
Michelle

Michelle Lee #240284 06/10/07 01:58 PM
Sending by sea is a bit cheaper option than land if it is not something you are in a rush to get here.

I sent a package here that way from Canada before we moved here and they said expect it to take 3 weeks and it arrived in about 10 days.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

tacogirl #240289 06/10/07 04:31 PM
K
K
Several friends have "lost" money that was sent through the mail. We got four Christmas cards two weeks ago that were all sent from the US before Christams. It can all be an adventure sometimes. We have had best success with USPS "express mail". Usually takes around seven to ten days. Haven't checked the rates lately. May have gone up with the other USPS rates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.