Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT] #240454
06/12/07 07:21 PM
06/12/07 07:21 PM
A
across777 Offline OP
across777  Offline OP
A
Thanks to everyone for the great advice...this has been a big help. We are leaning toward Tranquility Bay because it sounds like it is the best (if not the only) resort that we've come across that has legitimate snorkeling right off the beach. Any further comments on Tranquility Bay would be appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT] #240455
06/12/07 08:42 PM
06/12/07 08:42 PM
Caye Caulker
C
Cooper Offline
Cooper  Offline
C
We live here and know to keep heads up to keep an eye out for boats, newcomers get caught up in following a ray or fish etc. Bring down some red ballons with you. Blow them up and tie them to your face mask with about 5 ft of string. We just had a guy loose 3 fingers because he was not paying attention and had no floating marker. I still think it is safest to go out on guided tours but I also see swimmers in bad areas alot.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: Cooper] #240467
06/13/07 12:18 AM
06/13/07 12:18 AM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
Be very careful near the reef. The reef is created by coral that is above the water. There are strong currents around these coral heads. I was snorkeling near the reef in front of Nurse Natalie’s place and was surprised at how fast it became very shallow. A good friend of mine had to leave the island to get treatment for a serious injury – had his shin skinned on a coral head and infection set in rapidly.
I have snorkeled a lot under Amigos Del Mar’s dock and Wet Willy’s. Fantastic fish both places. I was told how good Ramon’s Village was but when I took my grandchildren there it was totally muddied up. Must have been the afternoon huh?

When snorkeling keep your ears open. When you hear the sound of a motor get upright in the water – make yourself very visible – wave if necessary. If using a kayak why not just lash the thing to yourself? Use enough line that it doesn’t run over you. I don’t know – just a thought.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: ScubaLdy] #240479
06/13/07 08:06 AM
06/13/07 08:06 AM
missouri
M
mobow Offline
mobow  Offline
M
Just got back from my first visit to the island. Had a wonderful time and will get a trip report together later. My experience with snorkeling off the docks was not great. The water is clear and beautiful and you will see a number of fish. The bottom is sandy for the most part. The docks are nice place to swim and see some fish but to see the really cool stuff pay the $35.00 and get out with one of the guides. They wil get you out to the good coral formations, they will keep you safe and most of them provide refreshments after you snorkel. Around the docks verses a snorkel with a guide is night and day. Have a wonderful time. keith

Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: mobow] #240496
06/13/07 09:55 AM
06/13/07 09:55 AM
Virginia
Barbara K Offline
Barbara K  Offline
across777 - if your main goal is snorkeling as much as you can, Tranquility Bay may work for you. Nice place. The tradeoff is that it is very far from town (about 50 minutes by boat) so you are pretty much stuck there unless you want to pay a lot and take a lot of time to go back and forth. Nothing else within walking distance for dining options, etc.

Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: Barbara K] #240500
06/13/07 10:28 AM
06/13/07 10:28 AM
San Pedro
S
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Sir Isaac Newton  Offline
S
Remember NOT TO TOUCH THE CORAL you'll kill it, your skin can heal, the reef will take 100 years to recover.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: Sir Isaac Newton] #240505
06/13/07 11:28 AM
06/13/07 11:28 AM
Houston
travelqueen Offline
travelqueen  Offline
Unless you are stupid and drift into it. frown

Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: Barbara K] #240570
06/13/07 07:47 PM
06/13/07 07:47 PM
Ks
DitchDocDiver Offline
DitchDocDiver  Offline
Its right next to Sueno Del Mar. My trips averaged 25 min... 20 min in the fast boat, maybe 30 in the slower boat. As others have said, don't just take off from the beach anyplace, without some kind of Marker, i.e floating dive flag, or kayak that you tow with you.

When I went with Greg Smith, (turtleman) he would stay out there until you were ready to come in. He'll take you to the easy stuff, and if you are game, even the outside of the reef.

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: DitchDocDiver] #240647
06/14/07 07:28 PM
06/14/07 07:28 PM
Southeast of Disorder!
J
jonjoslin Offline
jonjoslin  Offline
J
Can anyone recomnd a good place to buy Snorkeling Flags in San Pedro.. I don't want to carry one, but it sounds like I'd be more comfortable if the kids had them around Ramons, etc.

Kinda like this:

http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_39_scuba_1_gear_031770_pn_INNOVATIVE-SNORKEL-FLAG

Re: Snorkeling from shore [Re: jonjoslin] #240650
06/14/07 08:12 PM
06/14/07 08:12 PM
Ks
DitchDocDiver Offline
DitchDocDiver  Offline

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do
Specials & Events
Calendar
SPTB Calendar of Events

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
Click for the Thrifty Dollar Golf Club Rental website!
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 82 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics78,635
Posts499,008
Members20,319
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.