Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ghbyram Offline OP
OP Offline
Just an FYI ...

My neighborhood was hosting a blood drive recently to benefit a neighbor who has cancer. I was surprised to be turned away due to my recent travel to Ambergris Caye. Apparently they will let you donate if you stay inside Belize City, but spending anytime anywhere in Belize outside Belize City was considered to be a Malaria risk and the waiting period for donation eligibility is 12 months.

Grady

D
D
Yes that's a fact. But for some reason our health care provider
says no shots, vaccines, or pills if visiting AC. Only if you're going to stay on the mainland. Go figure.

You can give blood here in Belize though. Only 10% of the blood in the blood bank is "donated" the other 90% is "replacement" blood given by family members & friends of patients.

You must be at least 110 lbs in weight and you should give blood after you have eaten. There is a 23 line questionairre. The donated blood is screened for HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, malaria, syphillis and chagas (a parasitic disease.)

Did you know blood is only stored for 35 days and then it must be destroyed?

The Belize National Transfusion Service (blood bank) is located on Princess Margaret Drive in Belize City.

I don't know if you can make donations to the bank by donating here on the island.

Nurse Natalie??? Do you know?

K
K
There is currently no place here on the island to donate. Which is interesting - the Ministry of Health advises all pregnant women to donate one pint of blood (in case of emergency). So they would have to go to Belize City to donate and then have to go back to Belize City to get blood if they needed it!!

They have occassional blood drives on the island. But considering we are probably about 15,000 strong it might be time to start thinking about keeping our own supply.

S
S
Better be somewhere with a genset!!

That's right, you cannot donate blood on the island here. Yes , sometimes there is a blood drive here and they come out from Belize City for the day and take the blood to the city with them.
Before getting a blood Bank, I think the priority would be to get a hospital, or at least a 24 hour emergency room here.

Last edited by natalie p; 06/20/07 05:27 AM. Reason: mistake
How true Natalie. We gotta remember to take baby steps and aim for small attainable goals.

Don't we all hate politics!

S
S
I attempted to donate blood is the U.S. and was told that I'd have to wait 7 years after having eaten beef in the UK. That was 6 years ago. Dang, now I am a mad cow AND malaria risk?

Shanniqua? smirk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.