Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
R
for the prices it depends on who you dive with. also if you got your cert at home, then you can dive less expensive while you are in San Pedro. I would get cert at home then just enjoy your dives on the Caye. you wont 'waste your time' doing the demonstrations in this beautiful place. compleat your c-card and enjoy the dives on holiday. Belize was my first dive trip after cert, and Im glad I was able to fully enjoy myself diving while there. not worring about taking my mask off under the water and such..

I agree with Barbara K. Black Rock Lodge is absolutely beautiful, nestled in the middle of the jungle on a mountain side along the Mecal River.
http://www.blackrocklodge.com/home.html

"Great waterfalls in the Cayo district in the Mountain Pine Ridge. I did a trip for a photographer who photographed the movement of water, water/light interplay, etc. He was thrilled with the Cayo area. Stayed at Black Rock Lodge and traveled all around the area with a guide."

ArtZ SmartZ
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Expect to pay somewhere around $250-$300 for the four certification dives, including all equipment, taxes and (if it's PADI) certification. You may get deals on this, but you won't save a lot. So if you can do all four dives as cheaply as you say then do them there.

As to when to come, we are now in the early part of hurricane season. The weather at present is a bit rough but not remotely like a bad storm, just a bit windy, and in fact during hurricane season the weather is generally calm and diving conditions excellent. Either month would be good, with August being hotter.

another vote for the pine ridge and cayo. i recommend doing all but the open water dives back home. unless you live in florida!

I recommend completing your certification at home, if you have the time. While completing your open water portion in a warmer water environment has its appeal, the experience you will gain from a slightly more harsh environment will serve you better in the long run.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I tend to agree with Marty here. First dives should be fun! :-) In fact I did the same thing - I found a local dive shop that I trusted and got the class & pool training at home (where I could get lots of detailed instruction) and then did my check out dives in Florida. Interesting aside: my local instructor's day job was to do underwater training for astronauts at a nearby NASA installation!

As far as photography, I have done limited underwater photography myself and the best shots I ever got were in shallow water where there is ample light. If you're really serious about taking photographs in deeper water then you want to buy or rent a good underwater flash. One caveat if you're a beginner diver: bringing all that equipment down might make your first diving experience a bit more cumbersome than it should be. But capturing memories of your dives in photographs or video is priceless.

Can't wait for //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/240871/page/0/fpart/1 to A.C. in July :-)

Coming to AC in mid-June! Can't wait! :-)

I'm happy to see your responses to my questions and the wonderful feedback you have received.
I had specialized in black and white land photography before I became a diver. Once I saw the beautiful underwater world I knew I needed a camera and needed to switch to color. My first camera was an Aqua Shot that takes throwaway cameras.
Now they have throwaway underwater cameras.
Please do not spend any more money than that as a beginner diver. As already mentioned - you will loose a few.
Absolute minimum you need to know to shoot underwater. Your flash will not travel more than 5'. Everything looks bigger and closer than it is - so you must get close - very close - to your subject. Do not shoot down. Most critters are colored so that they blend in with their background.
Use the mantra: Get down - get close - shoot up.
I think you will be surprised at how well you can do with a throwaway and you will not be worried all the time about loosing or damaging an expensive outfit.
For a lot of people it takes many dives to get your buoyancy controlled. The reason so many divers get angry with u/w photographers is that they (we) tend to damage the environment while struggling to get THE shot. Please start out being a conscience diver by not touching anything.
Good luck.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy

I'm happy to see your responses to my questions and the wonderful feedback you have received.
I had specialized in black and white land photography before I became a diver. Once I saw the beautiful underwater world I knew I needed a camera and needed to switch to color. My first camera was an Aqua Shot that takes throwaway cameras.
Now they have throwaway underwater cameras.
Please do not spend any more money than that as a beginner diver. As already mentioned - you will loose a few.
Absolute minimum you need to know to shoot underwater. Your flash will not travel more than 5'. Everything looks bigger and closer than it is - so you must get close - very close - to your subject. Do not shoot down. Most critters are colored so that they blend in with their background.
Use the mantra: Get down - get close - shoot up.
I think you will be surprised at how well you can do with a throwaway and you will not be worried all the time about loosing or damaging an expensive outfit.
For a lot of people it takes many dives to get your buoyancy controlled. The reason so many divers get angry with u/w photographers is that they (we) tend to damage the environment while struggling to get THE shot. Please start out being a conscience diver by not touching anything.
Good luck.

Good stuff. We are going to try and get *everything* out of the way including the open water dives here in town. Also, the local dive shop here has a photography-oriented program coupled to the PADI cert and some National Geographic cert. Figured that might be a good plan to get used to the SLR underwater prior to being where it really counts. Not too worried about its saftey guys - we are using one of the backup bodies for this. Besides, insurance would cover it.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Any more opinions on late August versus late November around thanksgiving?

awesome pics worldtraveller!

to do my open water dives at home would have required diving in oregon = wear a sleeping bag basically to keep from freezing, plus see nothing. well maybe six feet visibility.

I would recommend November over late August, but I'm a snowbelt wimp when it comes to 92 degrees and 100% humidity.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.