Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#242397 07/06/07 12:27 PM
OP Offline
This morning I talked to a person in public relations for Petco and she told me how to reach them. I wrote the following letter. Perhaps some of you would also like to write to them. I'm not above begging. LOL
I did sign my name and gave them my e-mail address as well as the snail mail one.
Let's get this done.

July 6, 2007

The PETCO Foundation
7262 North Rosemead Boulevard
San Gabriel, CA 91775

Dear Sir or Madam:

Unfortunately we do not meet your criteria for support as we are not in the United States. However our need is great. We are a group of unorganized gringos who live full time, part time or visit on a regular basis our little island on the Caribbean Sea. Ambergris Caye is in Belize, Central America and is an English speaking country (formerly British Honduras).

We do have The Saga Society, Ambergris Caye, Belize [files at AmbergrisCaye.com]
The Saga Society is a non-profit animal organization in San Pedro. The primary mission of the Saga Society is to control and monitor the cat and dog populations on Ambergris Caye, Belize. Many of us support this organization.

The Government of Belize, in an effort to control the dog population, again started a program of poisoning. The last event resulted in 70 dogs being killed, some inside their own yards, some tied and died on their leashes.

We do have a very active community message board, www.ambergriscaye.com and many people responded to this incident with outrage. This resulted in the discovery of a successful program in the Turks/Caisco; http://wildliferesources.org/TurkCaico.html that we would like to emulate.

In order to set up this program we need collars to give to the school children to put on their dogs. What do we need to do to have you donate these? I would like to correspond with you via e-mail.

Cordially,

Harriette Fisher

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 07/06/07 12:33 PM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
E
E
Are the school children required to wear collars?

OP Offline
Thanks IM - I edited my letter

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Scubaldy, why would the children need to be ones to put the collars on the dogs? Why not the adults? I wouldn't want to be responsible for something like that, as a child.

If in Houston they'll donate, let me know and I'll bring some down.

S
S
ScubaLdy,good job,nice letter

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
Nice letter Harriette, We have personally brought down around 50 to 80 collars for cats and dogs for SAGA. If more are needed or if "special" collars are needed, We can send some down in August with a friend of ours from San Pedro who will be visiting us. Let us know.

We had thought of moving to AC..... but after this horrendous 'murder' of the animals, i am to afraid to do so. I can see my dogs now (Int./Mx/Am/Cn World champions) in their own yard, poisoned. If this happened I would be coming down so hard on the government, and going after whomever i could.
Ali
Gwynedd old English sheepdogs
http://www.gbwebs.com/gwynedd

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
It appears that under 10 dogs were actually poisioned -two that were in yards but the rest that were terrorising the neighbourhood-I am a dog lover,and do not condone the "euthenasia" of pets-I personally see nothing wrong with the eradication of packs of semi wild animals

Pedro, I don't think there is anything wrong with controlling the feral dog population, either. But, it has to be done in a way that is humane, and not risky to pets. Unfortunately, we can only blame those who have pets and don't have them spayed or neutered. The puppys are cast off, or given to homes who can't take care of them, and they reproduce, and then they reproduce, and before you know it, we have a pack of dogs who have learned to fight for survival. These animals are usually not adoptable, and on a small island, it becomes a huge burden on those who care enough to try to contain them, and usually ends in a disappointing way. So, to eradicate these animals is not the issue, I dont' think. It is the manner in which they are being euthanised, the suffering that they endure before death, that is in question. As much as we all seem to be animal lovers, sometimes there are things worse than going to doggy heaven.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
I agree with Pedro1...I have seen packs of 20 or more dogs run wild in San Pedro at 3AM. This was in the late '80s-early 90's. San Pedro needs an ongoing program of euthenasia...or the packs will return. Frankly, I think collars for children would help more than collars for stray, unattended dogs. A stray dog is bad...a stray dog with an owner is more than bad...its irresponsible!!!

Gone fishing!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.