Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mitzi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello! Have been reading this forum for the last several days, and have already gained alot of useful info. Thank you!

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to AC for Christmas week. Dec. 23-28. We've not been before. VERY excited about our little trip. We know it will be great!

Just wondering, what is Christmas week like on AC? Do businesses close that week? Or just on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Will bars and restaurants be open? Shops? Grocery stores? Do we need to do any advance planning because of the holiday?

Will we find any companies open to take us to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley?

We certainly understand that it is a holiday week, just want to know what to expect.

Also, I saw a great post on tripadvisor about which grocery stores were where. They mentioned that you buy your Beliken beer at the distributor on the south end of town, and then it is delivered. Is this the only store to buy beer? We are too old to be spring breakers, however, we do like our beer. (Iam 41, he is 58)

Will there be any festivities for the holiday? Anything that we can see or participate in? Or a mass?

We are from the Atlanta area. I want to snorkel, he....not so much. But will go anyway. More than anything, we really want to relax and enjoy the area.

Any help you folks can give us would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone else will be there that week, please let me know. Maybe we can get together for a drink.

I realize it is early, however, I want to go ahead and ask my questions as they pop into my head. For the next few months I will be busy training for the Atlanta Breast Cancer 3-day. Sometimes I walk and walk and am so tired when I get home, I forgot what I wanted answers to! Gotta get them out of my brain while I still remember!

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Mitzi

M
M
Mitzi,

First of all, good luck with your training. That is something to be proud of doing!

Okay, to hopefully answer a few questions.
Hubby and I flew in on Christmas Day in 2005 and we had some of the same concerns.

We pre-arranged having the local Beliken/Lighthouse delivered to our condo by the people who handled our rental. Another option would be to check Lagniappe Provisioning...they will pre-deliver groceries/drinks before your arrival.

We found that there were several restuarants that were closed, but also found plenty open on Christmas Day. And I think the big (albeit expensive) Supermarket south of town was also open on Christmas Day.

Other than Christmas Day, we did not find any problems with any other activities. The day after Christmas is considered Boxing Day and is a holiday as well. Some businesses may be closed, but I don't recall having any problems finding restaurants or other businesses open.

The rest of the week seemed to be business as usual by all of the shops, tours, etc.

Since we came in late in the afternoon on Christmas, I can't answer about any festivities, but I'm sure others can reply.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

S
S
MITZI,
MY BOYFRIEND AND I ARE BOTH FROM BUCKHEAD. I LIVED ON CAYE CAULKER (THE SMALLER ISLAND) FOR 8 YEARS. WE JUST GOT BACK FROM
A FUN TRIP TO BELIZE LAST WEEK. I LOVE TO GIVE YOU ANY ADVICE
THAT MIGHT MAKE YOUR TRIP MORE ENJOYABLE. DON'T WORRY IF THERE
IS BELIKIN, THERE IS NO STRESS. WHAT PART OF TOWN DO YA'LL LIVE
IN?
MAYBE, WE CAN MEET FOR SOME COLD BEERS AND I'LL BRING SOME PHOTOS AND FREE ADVICE. LET US KNOW.
CHEERS,
CYNTHIA

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
You'll find at least some companies open every day to allow you to do what you want. Our dive center has always been open on both Christmas Day and New Year's Day, at least for part of the day.

Hi Mitzi

Thanks for raising awareness of the breast cancer societies - walk strong.

Christmas is certainly celebrated here and there will be midnight mass at the RC church Christmas eve. Many of the other denominations will be celebrating the birth of Christ too.

The town is brightly decorated and most restaurants and bars will operate during the holidays. Gift shops and other retail businesses may be closed Christmas day and Boxing day (the day after Christmas. However your hotel will be able to set you up with snorkel and dive trips etc.

It is a great time of good will. There will be turkey dinner specials everywhere.

You will have a great visit.

M
mitzi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Cynthia! We are both a little outside of Atlanta. I live in Jasper, and he lives in La Grange. I am through downtown on a regular basis. We will have to get together one of these days. Lived in Alpharetta/Roswell for many years and spend alot of nights in Buckhead. Thank you for the invitation, and I will take you up on that real soon. Would love to see your pics and talk to someone who lived in what I hear is a fabulous place!

Take care,
Mitzi

Hi Mitzi

Here are some pictures from 2006 our first Christmas here...

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4431970&a=32399718&f=

People decorate and it is nice to walk around and see everyones Christmas lights. They also had the first annual boat parade of lights.

Christmas morning Indygal and her Husband Chris were singing at the church in town, so we went with Pocoloco and her husband to see them.

After that we did Sad B@stards Christmas party at Pedro's and had a great time with our friends.

Pedro did a full meal service (I forget the price) and then after those who had brought a gift did the gift game and we all had a laugh stealing presents.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

S
S
MITZI,
HERE'S MY EMAIL ADDRESS:
[email protected]
NEXT TIME, YA'LL ARE COMING IN TOWN, LET US KNOW AND WE CAN
MEET FOR SOME BEERS AND LAUGHS.
CHEERS,
CYNTHIA

Originally Posted by mitzi
Hello! My boyfriend and I will be traveling to AC for Christmas week. Dec. 23-28. We've not been before. VERY excited about our little trip. We know it will be great!

Just wondering, what is Christmas week like on AC? Do businesses close that week? Or just on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Will bars and restaurants be open? Shops? Grocery stores? Do we need to do any advance planning because of the holiday? . . . Mitzi

We ere there last Christmas. We had a blast. We brought presents, Christmas lights, etc toys for the kids, as we walked around town, we'd see kids and would ask the parents if it was ok to give kids the gifts..

enjoy your time! PM me if you have questions

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
M
mitzi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Mystkl1,

Thank you for responding. And thank you for the luck on the training. I'll need it!

The provisioning company sounds like a good idea. We may do that. Or just stock up early in the week. We are staying on the north end of town, and may hit the stores up there as soon as we get in.

Thank you for the information!

Mitzi

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.