Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#243426 07/22/07 09:47 PM
OP Offline
I just received a personal response from Petco regarding donating dog collars. Is there anyone out there in the USA who would care to pursue this?

I received your letter requesting collars to be donated. In order to consider an Application for Support from a group outside of the United States you need to secure an umbrella organization within the United States. The PETCO Foundation may only donate to animal welfare groups with a 501(c)(3) tax determination status from the IRS. This umbrella organization would make the request on your behalf and then arrange for the product to be donated to you.

Please access our web site, www.petco.com and click on PETCO Community then PETCO Foundation/Application for Support. This will explain the procedures and provide the forms necessary to apply for support through the Foundation including product donations. You would need to provide us with the sku numbers of the products you would like to have donated, quantity and then what PETCO store the product may be pick up. We cannot ship it to you in Belize and it would be your responsibility to get it from the U.S. to there provided the request is granted.

Best wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Paul Jolly

Vice President and Director

PETCO Foundation

626-287-0952 office

626-287-9704 fax

BTW - Yesterday I was told that either Friday or Saturday the town poisoned three more dogs. This occurred on the south end of the bridge where a number of dogs hang out. The guy who told me this(and he lives right there)said he usually kept his dog tied up but had let him loose that night and he was one of the three. Jr. took full responsibility for this and seemed to feel that the town was doing the right thing.

I am not writing this to get another FLAME going - just to stress the need for a better program.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Hi Harriette: Curiousity compelles me to ask what is the great need for dog collars. Dog owners can afford such necessities along with leashes to walk their pet. Stray dogs cause many problems in San Pedro...molested trash cans, dog fights, creation of other strays, and serious health issues. A collar on a stray dog does nothing...only a leashed dog either in a yard or during a walkabout addresses these issues. I feel badly for the stray or homeless animal...their problem is not of their making. Take care: Bill

Gone fishing!!
Bill, You sound like you know a lot about a dogs life! grin

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Bill: that is the sound of reason. Good for you for saying it.

Harriette

Saga used to have that tax status in the US. Perhaps seeking help and donations should be an endeavor better pursued by the Humane society board of directors.

I agree with Bill. Stray dogs are a problem and putting a collar on a stray does not make him automatically become a pet or a useful member of the community.

I wish people that say they love their pets would either leash them or keep them contained in their yards. It is disgusting and unhealthy to see all of the dog mess on the beaches and streets of San Pedro. Strays are not regularly fed or dewormed nor do they receive all of the necessary shots that ensure their health - and the health of those around them.

And if people really love their pets why don't they have the animals spayed/neutered. Do we really need to continue breeding mutts? We are fortunate enough to have a resident vet who has the necessary equipment to routinely "fix" our pets.

I don't like the fact that this town needs to destroy/cull strays, but until people start taking responsibility for their pets this will be an on going situation.

I've got a great idea lets start another big thread about dogs!
sarcasm is dangerous in print isn't it.'Because it is vocally oriented, sarcasm can be difficult to grasp in written form and is easily misinterpreted.'. I don't mean that guys .aren't we all just a little tired of the dog threads.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
If you are "tired of the dog threads" then don't read them. It's your choice.
The stray dog situation is a major problem and the present method of reduction is a poor solution. A better more humane method is needed but costs $$.
Funding SAGA could be the answer.

Last edited by Jesse; 07/23/07 03:48 PM.
Most of us love dogs. There are several things that contribute to the problem as I see it.
1. Dogs are trained easiest by food. Trash without enclosures is training dogs to go look for food, escape from a yard if neccessary. The dogs are doing what they were trained to do.
2. There are no consequences for having no enclosure around your trash but certainly that is how dogs, racoons, and other critters spread the trash around. Make the fines for no trash enclosure the same or worse as littering.
3. A trained dog is a joy in every way but there are few qualified trainers here.
4. Install a liscense fee to pay for some of the costs encurred to relocate a dog to a new owner if neccessary. Also nueter any dog found wandering whether it has a collar or not.
5. The days when dogs could roam free without their owners are past. Left out to feed by foraging at night, allowed to form packs, bark at everything all night whether it's anywhere close to home? In what universe is this OK or should be tolerated. Just wanting cheap security is not a reason to have a dog yet that is how many feel. In short order their will be more and more dogs.
6. There needs to be fines and they should be paid or jail time. They should increase with repeat offenses. If not Nationwide at least here on the Island.

I've known free roaming dogs that were cool but the rules should apply to everyone. I don't believe in leash laws but I do believe if a dog is agressive or uncontrolable by the owner they should leash it. Owners need to bear the responsibility for their pets habits and actions. Most definitely there needs to be more awarenes on the care and training of pets. To simply put out poison is too risky and short sighted. It will not stop the problem in fact it hides the problems. Dogs should not suffer from our inadaquacies. We are Gods to them and their caretakers.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
ARF ARF eek ps. Punishment of innocent,unenclosed trash cans is not the solution.

Last edited by Bill Thornton; 07/24/07 01:16 AM.

Gone fishing!!
The problem is not dogs running around without collars or leashes. The problem is too many unwanted, uncared for, i.e.: feral animals on the island and the Town Board's solution is to put out poison meat. The same solution they have used for many years and will probably continue to use unless all you self proclaimed dog lovers find a better way. That means catching and killing, or maybe it sounds better to say "send to dog heaven", the unwanted ones.

Saga used to have a program of neutering and spaying the dogs and cats and then turning them loose again. To me that is cruel and I did not support them. Spayed and neutered animals die of starvation and disease just like those that aren't. Animals that do not have an owner to take care of them that are left to scavenge for food and die of disease are much better off in the next world. I would be interested in knowing Saga's current position.

Last edited by bywarren; 07/24/07 07:28 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.